Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Weather/Winter Exercise? page

dishandspoon2008 is offline Junior Member

Bad Weather/Winter Exercise?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone has any really good ideas for how to get your "move around slowly" exercise in when the weather is dreadful. I can't afford to go to a gym, so that's completely out of the question, but I suspect that I'm stuck at my weight because I'm not moving around much. The first 16 pounds came off with diet alone, and I went from 290 to 274 in the first month, but I've lost nothing else since in this last month. I have discovered that I have a pretty serious gluten intolerance, so I'm on the straight and narrow when it comes to avoiding grains. I even gave quit milk and most other dairy (except butter and occasional cheese), and tried IF, but still manage to float within a three pound weight range.

Anyway, I'm in Columbus, Ohio and it seems like it's been raining non-stop for a month, not to mention it's cold and disgusting. I don't know what to do with myself, but I've got at least 125 pounds to shed and nothing's happening. I'm female and will be 30 on Sunday. Any suggestions/hints/tips?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I hate to say this, but maybe look into getting a second-hand, cheap, or preferably free treadmill or elliptical machine? Just to walk and do mild stuff in, not to huff and puff mindlessly. I wouldn't suggest a stationary bike because I think those are way too low impact, being on your feet is what matters here.

Other than that, bundle up and brave the weather I suppose. It may derive a sense of accomplishment along with the exercise, you know?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    No one wants to go out for a walk in that kind of weather but if you cheated by parking further away, not taking the car to the corner store, getting off the bus one or two stops early, your distance will soon add up.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree with iniquity. hit up craigslist or freecycle and you will likely find plenty of indoor exercise gear for free or cheap. i have an exercise bike that i got for $10, and i'm hoping to look at a treadmill for free later today. i think a bike is just fine for moving slowly as long as you're not just sitting and moving your legs. i keep the resistance up on mine so i'm exerting about as much energy as i would taking a walk through the woods.

if you don't want equipment, you can also look at getting some exercise videos, or just put on some music and dance.

when the snow comes, you'll have some great outdoor options. snowshoeing is one of my favorite moving slowly, but i also use shovelling, big-snow-ball making, and walking back up the hill i just sledded down.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

I agree for the most part, though occasionally the weather really is life threatening. For the most part, though, you do yourself a great favor by bundling up and getting outside rather than trudging on a treadmill. I daytime from the perspective of 26 years in Alaska, so know a bit about challenging weather.

dado Guest
    in the winter you must go hard or go home

dishandspoon2008 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    in the winter you must go hard or go home
    That's kinda my problem - I just stay home Winter sucks, and this cold disgusting rain we've been having is just plain foul. It's dark when I get up and get home from work, so even if it isn't nasty outside I'm not comfortable walking around the neighborhood in the dark as I have no cell phone.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a Mall? Malls are great places to get some walking and socializing in while avoiding the weather. Plus you can keep an eye out for new smaller clothing on sale.

Rain sucks because it is sloppy, but once it freezes up you need to put on a few layers, a beannie and gloves and go for some brisk walks. The cold weather , and outside air are great for you and if you dress properly You can turn it into an enjoyable experience.

Yesterday I walked and it was only 9 or 10 degrees out.

You can adjust your daily reutines to add more move slow activities.

I stand at my desk, Instead of calling someone in the building I walk to there office and have a face to face. (this is not only healthfull it makes me appear to have more initiative at work!) Take stairs, park far away from stores(avoids door dings anyway)

Worst case scenario get a hamster wheel machine
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

nicess is offline Junior Member
    i think a bike is just fine for moving slowly as long as you're not just sitting and moving your legs.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Getting outside is going to do quite a bit of good for you, especially if you can do it in the daylight. Get outside for your breaks. Get outside for your lunch break. Suck up the cold weather- cold showers stimulate fat burning, why wouldn't cold weather? Walking also burns fat. That's a 2-for-1 deal right there. I don't know about you, but even with my Vit D supplements, even when it's rainy and nasty out, I still feel better mentally for being outside in the daylight a bit every day or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast