Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Weather/Winter Exercise? page 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I agree with some of the other posters - just get it done. I train in an unheated garage year round no matter what the weather - it got down to -13c last year and my hands were so cold that I couldn't grip my pull up bar. Yes it's miserable being out in all weather but if you have no alternative then you have NO alternative.

Pigevil is offline Member
    Do you live near a ski resort or hill? Does it snow where you live?
    Why not take snowboarding (or skiing)... We snowboard all winter long... Awesome fun sport and a great exercise for winter...We are so stoked for the new season coming up...

I know people who live in areas where there are no mountains and in the winter when it snows they do cross-country skiing.... This is also a tremendous for of exercise... You use almost every muscle in your body, especially when going uphill...

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    im actually looking forward to the snow this year, snow shoveling takes on a whole new function when you like to work out!
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I did a tabata cycle of burpees in my basement this morning...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Jason Gay: Your Outdoor Sports Survival Guide - WSJ.com

"One day this winter, you will be in your car, driving to the gym for your Bon Jovi jump-rope class. It will be 28 degrees outside, but your seat warmer will have your behind baked to the temperature of moist lamb. And you will pass a golf course, and see four hackers out there dressed for ice fishing, moving slowly, knocking a fluorescent orange ball across a fairway thick with snow.

And you will think to yourself, Look at those boneheads.

But as sure as I know anything, I know this to be true:

Those boneheads are happy. It's cold. Go outside."

Happened to be in today's paper. Bring on the cold, I'm ready.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    I can deal just fine with the cold... it's refreshing, right!?

But the darkness is what gets me... it's dark at 4:30 here. Makes going to the park a bit sketchy.

Walking around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights is an OK alternative (I guess). I cannot wait until spring!!!

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Bad weather is galvanizing.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysara View Post
    I can deal just fine with the cold... it's refreshing, right!?

But the darkness is what gets me... it's dark at 4:30 here. Makes going to the park a bit sketchy.

Walking around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights is an OK alternative (I guess). I cannot wait until spring!!!
    +1000

I can deal with cold and snow and most weather just fine. But when its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home... The cases of the "fuck its" come on hard.

The good news is I have access to my old highschool gym tuesday and thursdays from 630-8 so I can hit some weights at least. I can motivate myself to go about 80% of the time the dark thing is a killer.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend fitness hula hooping. Preferably using a weighted hoop with a large diameter depending on your size (38 inch diameter was a good size for me to start on, with an approx 31 inch waist). The smaller the hoop to waist ratio the more challenging you will find it. Sorry I can't recommend a US supplier as I live in the UK.

Hooping is great fun, excellent for the waistline as it tightens the abs, and a very good mood enhancer.

Not sure how primal it is considered to be, but it does have a 'dance feel' to it, and dance is certainly primal.

I've been amazed at how quickly I've progressed with developing tricks, which makes it very rewarding.

Yoga and light dancing are also easy enough to do at home (I'd recommend using a video guide if you've not tried yoga before). Yoga is great for mood and the immune system. My pet rabbit has a small repertoire of yoga moves so I say that makes yoga primal!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Dance Dance Revolution.
    Downloaded Stepmania, bought a USB dance pad and have downloaded a bunch of songs I like. Stepmania forums are filled with custom songs, you're not limited to techno. It's virtually my only exercise in winter, I'd rather get a treadmill to walk while watching TV or working though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast