Thread: Anyone here know about lamb's liver? page

criscarile is offline Junior Member

Anyone here know about lamb's liver?

Primal Fuel
    I have a lamb's liver in my freezer and I have no idea if it is a strong taste or not...I've used chicken livers before only to make pate, and have steered away from beef liver as my last experience with beef liver was rather disgusting. I've searched online for lamb liver recipes, and they all come up with a variation of liver and onions. Anyone here have some ideas? Keep in mind I need to disguise this for my family! (My teenage daughter will go on a hunger strike if she knows what I'm cooking up!)

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    I eat lamb's liver a couple of times a week. Usually some variation of the following:

Take bacon and fry off in pan/skillet with lard, butter or coconut oil until cooked to your preference, then remove from pan/skillet.
    Soften chopped onions in the bacon fat and then add the chopped liver and cook for 5 mins or so, then add the bacon back in and cook for a further 5 to 10 mins.

In the picture you can see quite large pieces of bacon and liver, but more recently I've been chopping them up more finely which really reduces the liver'ish flavour as more of it gets coated with the onion flavoured bacon grease. So much so that even my partner, who absolutely hates liver, loves this dish now

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Recipe for Liver, bacon and onions: Liver (125g), bacon (75g) and onions, served with mixed mesclun salad & baby spinach leaves.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I like to make brochettes of lamb liver. Cut into cubes about 1 inch. In a bowl, put two teaspoons powdered cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt, pepper, teaspoon cayenne pepper, juice and rind of half a lemon, enough olive oil to make a marinade. Stir liver through this and leave for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.

Thread onto (pre-soaked) bamboo skewers, about 6 - 8 pieces on each. Grill over charcoal for a couple of minutes, turning half way. They are best served pink inside. Serve with salad, and a yogurt / green coriander (cilantro) dressing.

thyme is offline Member
    two options:
    1: Devil it. The sauce disguises the liver, and it's out of this world good. Here's the basic technique:
    Devilled Ox Liver
    I just substitute butter for the sunflower oil; lamb liver for the ox; cayenne pepper for the Tabasco; dijon for the English mustard; and whatever jam I have (usually a blackcurrent, but any jam will do--it's only 2 tsp) for the redcurrent. Add a splash of sherry if you're so inclined. Sub coconut milk if you don't do dairy. It's flexible, and the result is far, far, far more than the sum of its parts.

2. Pate. Carmelize your onions in butter, with a sprig or two of thyme or sage or something. Toss a couple of smashed garlic cloves in the pan, then remove onions and garlic mixture. Quickly cook your (salted & peppered) liver. Remove liver. Deglaze pan with sherry. Put onion mixture and liver in the food processor. Add the sherry from the pan. Process away until it's getting smooth. Add big heaps of butter. Process into a smooth pate. Taste for salt, fat, acidity, etc, and add whatever is lacking. Stick it in a jar in the fridge and let set for a few hours.

We eat it with a spoon, or on a dinner plate as a condiment, or on home-made oatcakes, or on veg...the kids like it. Honest. And there's enough butter in it to keep for quite a while in the fridge.

criscarile is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Much thanks to all of you with these suggestions. It now looks like this will be a difficult decision on which recipe to use -- I have only one liver and I want it to be the best ... All the recipes sound fabulous; I do hope the liver will be unrecognizable in order to get my kids to eat it!