Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique what the new guy ate page 3

donnieR32 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    id ditch anything even close to milk .. just get your mind over needing it if you feel you do ..

no bananas for me, and not many fruits and no nuts (if you are trying to lose weight)

why is turkey a no no? ive never heard of that ... (im picturing the roasted turkey im eating for lunch today, no deli meat)

you do need fat at lunch ...
    Why no bananas or fruits? I'm attempting to lose weight, but nothing like the weight loss stories. I'm talking around 20-30 lbs. My focus is to remove all processed foods, eat meat, fish, veggies, nuts, fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You're on the right track! My version of primal works for me, and it might work for you if you want to try it. I eat:

Aroy-D coconut milk for breakfast - one normal (12 oz.?) can.

Lunch might contain a few of the following:
    Green apple
    Avocado or two
    Grass-fed beef liver cooked in tallow
    Zucchini
    Can of mackerel
    Head of romaine lettuce
    Can of oysters
    Sometimes mango or melon when available and fresh for cheap
    Other primal fare, six-egg meals on my days off work.

Dinner is extremely consistent:
    Salmon steak or two cooked in coconut oil and grass-fed tallow (I make it myself for CHEAP!) with salt and parsley
    Mountain of cruciferous organic frozen veggies, often with a sheet of seaweed tossed in or with some organic frozen spinach. And I mean mountain - hard to get the lid on the pan, and it's a 12" by 2" pan!

This diet, with trail mix on grocery day and the occasional dark chocolate bar, makes up my diet. It's predictable, easy and affordable and I'm down to 170 from 215, adding muscle and feeling alert. Usually fitday is happy with it, too!
    I appreciate this. Is that can of coconut milk enough for breakfast?
    This morning I had 3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 2 handfuls of spinach, and some turkey (yes, the naughty kind).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Fruit stalls me now. I have about ten pounds to lose and the only fruit I can seem to get away with is green apples, like one or two a day. Anything like banana, mango, melon will cause me to gain a little weight. I mean, that's no reason to never eat it, but if you're trying to get your body used to burning fat, you certainly don't want to be offering it sugars.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Fruit stalls me now. I have about ten pounds to lose and the only fruit I can seem to get away with is green apples, like one or two a day. Anything like banana, mango, melon will cause me to gain a little weight. I mean, that's no reason to never eat it, but if you're trying to get your body used to burning fat, you certainly don't want to be offering it sugars.
    Ok. Makes sense. I guess I just have a lot to get used to. I'm really trying to get a hold of the new diet. My body is used to bagels, cereal, sandwiches, microwave popcorn, potatoes... I ate pretty well, but there were a lot of grains (as you can see)

Yeah, it takes time. It could be a few weeks before your body will happily digest fat on a whim for you. And don't be surprised if the veggies give you the runs at first.

The can of coconut milk is my breakfast all by itself.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Yeah, it takes time. It could be a few weeks before your body will happily digest fat on a whim for you. And don't be surprised if the veggies give you the runs at first.

The can of coconut milk is my breakfast all by itself.
    What do you mean "before your body will digest fat on a whim for you"? I figured my biggest trouble was going to be in a few days when my body realizes it hasn't had any wheat or grains for a while.

Psychologically, it's difficult eating foods I know are fat because it's against everything I know. I mean, I was able to drop 30lbs to make fight weight, but that involved INTENSE workouts. I never imagined eating fat to lose fat. Then again, the idea of eating fat to use it for energy and eliminating bad carbs does make sense.
    Last edited by donnieR32; 12-07-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To add last sentence

The carb flu can either not happen, happen right away, or take a week to kick in. Nothing to freak out about, but this is a time when many people snack on nuts to get through the occasional craving.

Just start adding fat gradually. I'd predict that if you drank two shots of hot coconut oil today, you'd find yourself on the toilet pretty quick. But once you can digest fat, it mostly turns into energy. I can drink plenty of fats and oils and it all just gets used as clean, body-friendly fuel. Fat will be your new friend very soon! Again, start small, work your way to entire cans of coconut milk and tablespoons of coconut oil and tallow.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Awesome!!! Okay, one more question. How do you know if you're consuming the right or wrong stuff? In a month I'll have lost fat weight, have a heart attack, or just have gained weight? Is there signs before say, a month to detect if you're doing it right or wrong?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donnieR32 View Post
    Awesome!!! Okay, one more question. How do you know if you're consuming the right or wrong stuff? In a month I'll have lost fat weight, have a heart attack, or just have gained weight? Is there signs before say, a month to detect if you're doing it right or wrong?
    Try to not over-think it or stress. If you keep in simple and focus on the basics you'll be fine. Even if you make some mistakes, just by eliminating grains, high fructose corn syrup, excess sugar, and processed oils you are already doing your body a massive favor. If something isn't working then you can start tweaking - but for now don't worry.

I lost 50 lbs eating this way without worrying about any details - I ate meat, good fats, veggies, fruits and nuts. The weight just fell off. Keep things as simple as possible - above all you should find that you really love eating this way

And read the book! Remember saturated fat is the natural fat we were designed to use, and if you keep your body healthy and avoid damaging your arteries it will not cause chronic problems! The bad oils like rapeseed, soybean oil, and their type are the nasties to avoid.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast