Thread: slowly learning how to do this primal thing....... page

tomi is online now Senior Member

slowly learning how to do this primal thing.......

Primal Fuel
    Hey - I started this new lifestyle about 6 weeks ago. So far its working for me.

A little about me: I'm a 51 year old female. Married, with grown children who are slowly but surely leaving the nest. The husband isn't keen on doing the paleo/primal thing with me, but he's supportive of my efforts. He was born and raised in India (parents were missionaries) so rice is a staple in his diet!

I was pretty fit and healthy until 2001 when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I gained 75 pounds between 2001 and 2009 - I believe it was partly due to the fibro limiting my mobility, and partly due to also getting married in 2001 and my stress level (step daughters) and eating habits completely changed! So, at barely 5'3" I topped the scales at 215. UGH! I've done weight watchers, medifast (lost 50 pounds on that one), only to gain it all back once the "diet" was over. I've searched and searched for dietary changes that will fix the fibro symptoms and help me take off this extra poundage!

About 2 years ago I read something about the paleo diet - it sounded intriguing but honestly I didn't think I could make the kinds of changes needed to call myself a she-Grok. In October of 2011 I came across a post of someone saying this kind of eating has nearly eliminated all their fibro symptoms, and they had also lost weight! I was IN! So, for the past 6 weeks I've been trying really hard to stay as close to all paleo as possible.

I was feeling better within the first week! Sleep was better, pain and fatigue were almost gone, and I was able to start walking a mile every day. I have lost 10 pounds so far. I haven't had a peice of bread or pasta since I started! A little bit of sugar here and there, and soybean oil in my honey mustard dressing. Meals are grass fed beef, fish or chicken with veggies, and bacon and eggs every morning! YUM. I'm limiting fruit and potatos to practically none cuz I'm trying to lose weight. My biggest struggle is the alcohol. I need to just say NO to the rum and diet coke! I know --- poison!! and I always feel like crap for about 3 days after indulging. Pain and fatigue levels go back up, and I'm bloated! So, thats my next challenge.

I'm in this for the long haul. I'm a she-Grok! and I'm looking forward to the next 10 years being much healthier and more fit than the last 10 have been!

biancaaa is offline Member
    Welcome Tomi! You should be very proud of yourself for making a change and sticking to this lifestyle with minimal slip ups. I love sweets and being a university student I also know a thing or two about not being able to resist alcohol. How about instead of mixing your rum with coke you try coconut water or sparkling water or even try sipping on a glass of rum on the rocks - it will take longer to finish and maybe help cut down on the amount since you'll be sipping. Coke really is poison and all chemicals - plus look at the carbs in one can alone. Keep up the good work!

tomi is online now Senior Member
    biancaaa - thanks for the tips and encouragement. I really just need to say no to the rum all together. It isn't at all necessary - just a guilty pleasure. The coke is diet - so no carbs - but chemicals and poisons for sure. The alternative suggestions are good and I'll keep them in mind. Good luck with your studies! Stay healthy!