Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Mudder Tampa 2011 page

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member

Tough Mudder Tampa 2011

Primal Fuel
    Had an awesome time at my first Tough Mudder. My buddy and I completed it in 1 hour and 59 minutes. Not bad considering I really didn't train for the distance. Obstacles were not a problem, but got a little sore at the 9 mile mark. I never ran more than 6 miles in preparation for it. The Florida event was awesome, they really took advantage of the low land and plenty of mud. There were approx 25 obstacles with a bunch of mud pits thrown in. If you haven't done a Tough Mudder, I can now officially advise you to do it! It's alot of fun.

Siscoe is offline Junior Member
    Kyle - what id dyou wear on your feet? I'm planning on doing the Tough Mudder in Toronto next year, and want to wear my Vibrams, but was hoping someone might have some advice on that front. Is it doable in Vibrams?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siscoe View Post
    Kyle - what id dyou wear on your feet? I'm planning on doing the Tough Mudder in Toronto next year, and want to wear my Vibrams, but was hoping someone might have some advice on that front. Is it doable in Vibrams?
    Experiment by running trails in your VFFs. Don't train on pavement, it doesn't translate at all.

I was appraoched to join a team, but I only want to run more than 5+ if money is promised at the end.

Uppy is offline Member
    Kyle - that's a really solid time! Did you look at running World's Toughest Mudder at all? It was this past weekend in New Jersey. I was there as a spectator watching a friend run it. Just absolutely brutal conditions, sub-40s most of the way, and lots of water. A wetsuit was an essential piece of gear. My buddy bowed out after 2 laps, but the winner did 7. The womens' winner did 6. Crazy stuff.

Hoping to make a go at it next year. There were a couple of bigger-than-average guys out there, so I now have hope and motivation

missymomof3 is offline Member
    There will be a tough mudder here too I have thought about training for it but I'm a bit intimidated... kudos to you who have the guts!

La.C is offline Member
    Did your tough mudder have an electric fence obstacle? Our's does and I am not interested in receiving electric shock.

Nethru is offline Member
    I may be doing the one in PA in may. Some friends asked me to join them and looks like fun. Not much of a long distance runner here but i'm sure i can make it with some run/walk between obstacles.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Uppy is offline Member
    Usually there are so many people that the run/walk will be just fine as you may have to wait a bit for a turn at some of the obstacles.

They normally finish with the electroshock therapy obstacle. Basically just a bunch of electric fence wires hanging from a wooden framework and run by an electric fence controller hooked up to a car battery. It's not constant juice flowing through there, usually just a pulse every second.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by La.C View Post
    Did your tough mudder have an electric fence obstacle? Our's does and I am not interested in receiving electric shock.
    HTFU!

Aspire is offline Junior Member
    in regards to your shoes! I don't think it really matters! At a recent Ruckus I competed in there was a Guy without shoes. Oh, and it was under 60 degrees. the water was absolutely fridgid. it made my legs numb. Which was kinda nice. Just beware of sharp objects if you go barefoot.
    Train the way you are going to run! it translates better. bare feet etc.. since it is a short burst type of race. Train that way. I wouldn't run ten miles but i would beat the heck out of my legs in uneven terrain. Getting the joints ready for there jolts. Oh, may want to invest in some lower leg shivers to protect the back of your legs. Trust me i still have scars! Power on!
    Nicolas j. Zahasky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast