Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhausted new mom, need advice! page 2

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    This time in your life is just plain hard, it's so difficult to explain to those without kids. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old and it is still exhausting even though I work and my wife stays home. I thought we transitioned both from breast feeding to solid food around 9 to 12 months. There was a big improvement in sleep after that. My kids are not as primal as I'd like but it is hard without me being the primary care taker.

To the quick high cal snacks, I would also add good nuts like macademias, cashews and almonds.

I know fast food is frowned upon but Wendys has a very paleo salad loaded with avocados. Some of the more upscale burger places like In-n-out will wrap your burger in lettuce, about as paleo as you can get in my mind is beef wrapped in lettuce with some tomatos and onions. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good at this time in your life.

An easy routine we have fallen into is that I cook something big on Sunday that we can then have the next two or even three dinners. Once that is finished on say Tuesday, I'll make a 2lb primal meatloaf (sub almond meal for bread crumbs) that my wife can put in the oven on Wednesday and we can have Wednesday and Thursday night. Friday and Saturday are usually foraging nights. See if you can get your husband to do this.

A few good ideas for big Sunday dinners that last a few nights are a double batch of primal chili, coconut milk muligawtany soup, some kind of beef curry dish, the Moroccan primal chicken cauliflower rice dish, or sweet potato sheppard's pie.

I'm a big

thesaffs is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post

A better reason to avoid those things is that they're actually LESS calorically dense than breastmilk, and can hinder growth Give her more steak, lots of squishy meats, egg yolk, liver, fish eggs, whatever is meaty and fatty that she can get down. Don't worry about the veg. She's getting all the vitamins she needs from your breastmilk (and as she nurses less, the vitamin concentration actually goes up) so the only reason to eat vegetables, before you're about 2, is if you like them.
    I'm really happy to hear that about breastmilk and veggies because I was concerned. Too many well-meaning people telling me she should be eating baby purees. She has only two teeth right now so we just let her suck on a hunk of steak. Is there a way to get it soft enough that she can eat it? We give her pieces of ground beef that have softened in bone broth. What about organic grass-fed yogurt? Is that a good or bad idea? I'm planning on soft-boiling some organic egg yolks for her to try.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaffs View Post
    I'm really happy to hear that about breastmilk and veggies because I was concerned. Too many well-meaning people telling me she should be eating baby purees. She has only two teeth right now so we just let her suck on a hunk of steak. Is there a way to get it soft enough that she can eat it? We give her pieces of ground beef that have softened in bone broth. What about organic grass-fed yogurt? Is that a good or bad idea? I'm planning on soft-boiling some organic egg yolks for her to try.
    We would let ours chew on the bones. They loved to use those two little teeth to scrape out the marrow. I had never heard of Primal/ paleo at the time--I just thought it was cute. I don't know if you can get steak "soft" enough, but you can certainly cut it up small enough. Little teeny, tiny pieces of steak cooked medium. YUM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    She's doing what she should be.

Go online, look up baby-led weaning. might also be baby-lead weaning. it's a great (and easy) process.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    not "teeny" pieces. the kid needs to be able to hold onto it and pull it out if she gags. so, long strips to gum down. the nutrition mostly comes from breast milk at this point. you don't need purees.

my boy was always 90th for height, 10th for weight -- but strong and sturdy always. He still is, at age 3. very healthy, very strong, very tall, very talkative, etc.

he never had purees (other than what is normally pureed).

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great suggestions from Spughy!

Also, make sure you are supplementing Vitamin D. Many new moms I work with (I'm a pregnancy coach & also do post-partum work) are inside a lot & D-deficient. Vitamin D Council recs are 1000 IUs per 25 lbs of body weight.

Magnesium is also deficient for most folk, so supplement with 400-600 mg Mag Citrate or Glycinate. The Magnesium will help with dropping off to sleep more easily, so take it an hour before nap time or bedtime.

Also, make sure you are drinking enough water & salting food to taste.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Stewed meats actually work better for babies - especially nice tender lamb, or turkey - beef is often a bit stringy for them. That's a good idea with the ground beef though! And you can try veggie soups cooked in bone broth - whiz them up in the blender and she might go for them. But there's nothing better for FUN with food than a nice meaty bone.

Chicken livers! I nearly forgot. Those are great for babies, because they're soft, easy to chew with just gums, and super-nutrient dense. They usually like the flavour, too.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Also, make sure you are drinking enough water & salting food to taste.
    Make sure that's unprocessed sea salt (like Celtic or Realsalt) so you get the balance of minerals~ straight sodium chloride is worthless~ and don't be fooled by Hain Sea Salt~ it's the same thing as Morton's~ 590mg. sodium per žtsp. ~processed~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12