Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25 dollar mayonai$e page 3

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    OH my goodness. Most of the folks I know here in south Texas and in southern Missouri sell yard eggs for $2 a dozen. You guys need to drive out of town more often!
    The savings aren't quite enough to offset the time and gas for me. Mostly the time. I spend entirely too much for my food and I know it. I'm paying a premium for convenience. Same reason I pay people to clean my house and take care of my yard. I view it as buying my weekend back.

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Buy avocado oil online. Problem solved.

Just use a regular egg yolk. You're not going to notice any difference in nutrition using one CAFO egg. I go through dozens of mediocre grade eggs a month and I'm still alive. The benefits of pastured eggs vs a standard cage free egg that costs $2/dozen aren't much anyway AFAIK. Yes there's more omega 3, but the omega 3 quantity is low in pastured eggs, too. Just eat an extra serving of salmon during the week and call it a day.
    Yeah, it wasn't really the nutritional aspects of the egg I was concerned about. I only use pastured, local eggs when we're going to eat them raw, because I have small children and as a diabetic, I also have a compromised immune system, and good eggs are significantly less likely to be contaminated with disease. A lot of people mistakenly think that salmonella in eggs is just on the shell, but the most recent outbreaks have been in the eggs themselves.

But, I finally made a mayo I am happy with! I still want to get to making a duck fat mayo, but in the meantime I used light olive oil and ghee and it worked like a charm, for only about $6 for a cup and a half, which I'm happy with

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    The savings aren't quite enough to offset the time and gas for me. Mostly the time. I spend entirely too much for my food and I know it. I'm paying a premium for convenience. Same reason I pay people to clean my house and take care of my yard. I view it as buying my weekend back.
    Yeah, the farmers here know what eggs are worth in town. They charge slightly less, but you have to go WAY out to get cheap eggs here. All the more reason to keep a flock at home, which is on the menu for next year.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I've struggled with the same problem... Extra-virgin olive oil, which is the only kind I keep at home, is too expensive and makes the mayo taste almost bitter.
    Coconut oil mayo is just vile - coconut is not a taste I necessarily want in my salads or on my roasted veg.
    Bacon fat would be an option if I ate pork, but I don't.
    I did find a 3$ tub of duck fat at the store the other day and am looking forward to trying that.
    Keep the suggestions coming people! I know cheap and PB-approved mayo must be out there somewhere

ETA: Those of you who have been struggling with emulsifying your mayo, having EVERYTHING room temperature is key. That includes the lemon and mustard, take those out of the fridge an hour before you plan to make the mayo.
    Last edited by Ajax; 12-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123