Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 dollar mayonai$e page 2

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    DUCK FAT MAYO.

Seriously, give it a go. So yummy. (Just cook a duck. The fat will be a nice byproduct.)

If that's too strong a flavour, try a goose next time. The duck or goose will set you back some dough, for sure, but you get a couple good meals out of it, plus mayo, so I call it a win.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Okay here is one. I made expensive mayo by scratch (yes, it is expensive compared to squeeze-bottle mayo, even if you buy all ingredients on sale), it was not the first time. Or the second. AND this go around, THREEE batches of my mayo would not solidify!!!!! I tried one, failed. Tried again, failed & cussed up a storm. Tried a third time. Didn't leave out anything. Used standard recipie. Could it have been funky egg yolk????? Ended up having to use last batch for tuna, but it was strange textured (wouldn't mix & make fluffy like a good mayo should) but stilll tasted the same. Weird. Any foodies know why? Have wanted to make more lately, but am thrown off by how much money the last endeavor cost me......

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    .50 per egg? I've never paid that much and I live in NYC! here's 32 oz of top grade avo oil for $20 (it's a two pack x 16 oz)> La Tourangelle Avocado Oil, 16.9-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Just sounds like you're shopping at the wrong store (and have champagne tastes in mayo!)
    I'm actually a great shopper, but that's what good quality eggs go for here (the ones you would eat raw).

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the ideas, all. For those who have a hard time with emulsification, make sure you're using some dijon mustard. It really works well to help emulsify (works in vinaigrette too). I've been considering getting a duck anyway, I think I'll try that next

Stephaniex3 is offline Junior Member
    I wish you could make coconut oil mayo! Never thought of using ghee.
    Stephanie

diinky1119 is offline Member
    I found one at whole foods with flaxseed oil .. is it ok ? expensive but good made by spectrum

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    .50 per egg? I've never paid that much and I live in NYC! here's 32 oz of top grade avo oil for $20 (it's a two pack x 16 oz)> La Tourangelle Avocado Oil, 16.9-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Just sounds like you're shopping at the wrong store (and have champagne tastes in mayo!)
    The pastured eggs at my local Whole Foods are $7-$8 per dozen. The local CSA that has eggs wanted $6 per half dozen. But yeah, it's not hard to do better on the oil.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    OH my goodness. Most of the folks I know here in south Texas and in southern Missouri sell yard eggs for $2 a dozen. You guys need to drive out of town more often!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    to prevent runny mayo, drizzle the oil in SLOWLY. it should take a few minutes to drizzle in 1 cup. i don't know why you couldn't make coconut oil mayo; i've made bacon fat mayo and that's solid at higher temperatures. just melted the coconut oil and then let it cool to the point that it's not hot but still liquid. then use it in a regular recipe with room temp ingredients.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Buy avocado oil online. Problem solved.

Just use a regular egg yolk. You're not going to notice any difference in nutrition using one CAFO egg. I go through dozens of mediocre grade eggs a month and I'm still alive. The benefits of pastured eggs vs a standard cage free egg that costs $2/dozen aren't much anyway AFAIK. Yes there's more omega 3, but the omega 3 quantity is low in pastured eggs, too. Just eat an extra serving of salmon during the week and call it a day.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast