Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't afford to join box...pointers? page

hollytruitt is offline Junior Member

can't afford to join box...pointers?

Shop Now
    Hello,
    Background: I am new here. Not new to Low carb though. Started low carb via Atkins 3 years ago. Now doing Primal/Paleo lifestyle due to the usage of natural ingredients (ex: maple syrup/honey vs. splenda/sweetnlow). I still count my carbs though since if I go over my limit I start to gain. I am trying to get my family on board. They are low carb for the most part but still have that craving of bread esp when we are out. One child is GF so he is on paleo/low carb.

To my concern/question: 1st of all the box in my area is expensive and also scary. I read their website and they said they do not do any modification no matter what. They said there are no excuses. They do not want you there if you can't do what they say you need to do. That puts me at unease due to my knee surgery which is botched up. My new orthopedic dr said my leg is very very weak due to the surgery I had done by another dr. That is one concern of the local box. I branched out to the big city and found one that is reasonable in their requirements however it is still expensive. Our food budget have tripled since doing primal/paleo/low carb so our money is going to food. (We are a family of 5 here) So hubby and I decided a box is out of the question due to time, money and distance. So besides using Mark's e-book what is it that I can do at home? My hubby said he can be my coach. He coaches our two boys in weight lifting as he used to be a trainer long ago in high school for football guys. He is now starting to train my daughter in lifting. I did look at Everyday Paleo new fitness program however hubby said at $20 a month he is not sure. So we are going to wait a while on that to see the reviews first. He said that is an investment that he is not willing to commit to at this time. He prefer perusing the internet and books at this time. He rather invest in equipment than an online monthly program. Maybe later...

So other than Mark's ebook on fitness what are the options via internet and books?

Thanks!

Holly
    Last edited by hollytruitt; 12-06-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling error that needs to be corrected

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Besides Marks E-book, that I am currently using and progressing to some challenging movements there is Convict Conditioning a great progression book.. ALso check out this sight for some intense workouts that I have used off and on before going primal with good results.

BODY BY FISH
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been using Mark's ebook with Convict Conditioning as my Heavy Lifting of Things with great success.

I also have had my kneecap put back together, so I understand your concerns. I will say that since my accident/knee surgery six years ago, nothing has gotten me into shape like this. I haven't been this fit since my initial military training 11 years ago. Walking and bodyweight squats have done more for me and my legs than any running I've done. I never have problems with my knee anymore.

I know it seems simple, but stick with the PB Fitness ebook for a while. If that isn't working for you, then start adding things in. Don't stress about adding any weight- your body weight will be more than enough for a while. Don't forget to WALK a lot. It really will help you out in so many ways.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I've been using Mark's ebook with Convict Conditioning as my Heavy Lifting of Things with great success.

I also have had my kneecap put back together, so I understand your concerns. I will say that since my accident/knee surgery six years ago, nothing has gotten me into shape like this. I haven't been this fit since my initial military training 11 years ago. Walking and bodyweight squats have done more for me and my legs than any running I've done. I never have problems with my knee anymore.

I know it seems simple, but stick with the PB Fitness ebook for a while. If that isn't working for you, then start adding things in. Don't stress about adding any weight- your body weight will be more than enough for a while. Don't forget to WALK a lot. It really will help you out in so many ways.
    +1 on convict conditioning
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I like my local playground and my imagination. Starting with basic Primal Fitness, I do sprints once a week, heavy lifting twice a week, and push-ups - chin-ups, other low-stress body work twice a week more or less with a day off. You don't really need a solid plan to get healthy as long as you do something almost every day and mix it up, and Primal Fitness is pretty much exactly that. Low-stress, good results as long as you are eating right.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollytruitt View Post
    I read their website and they said they do not do any modification no matter what. They said there are no excuses. They do not want you there if you can't do what they say you need to do.
    That is ridiculous... you don't want to go to that place even if its free. Most CF Boxes are really cool about that kind of thing and totally inclusive of people of all skill and fitness levels.

The great thing about CF though is that you don't technically need an affiliate to do the workouts. I went to a local box on and off for a while... but now I just do CF workouts on my own... there are tons of resources online for WODS.

You really don't need that much equipment either. I've managed to turn my garage into a pretty well outfitted CF style gym for pretty cheap via craigslist and garage sales and if I don't have something I just alter the WOD a bit... or pick a different one.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

solovus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollytruitt View Post
    To my concern/question: 1st of all the box in my area is expensive and also scary. I read their website and they said they do not do any modification no matter what. They said there are no excuses.
    I echo Goldsmiths sentiment...those gyms are the reasons CF has a tarnished reputation for being dangerous. Once your knee is better then I would recommend going to a CF affiliate for a few months just to get familiar with some of the moves, but the only thing I really miss about the local CF box is their bumper plates...and damn they are expensive and yes I check craigslist regularly for them.

sfd9874 is offline Junior Member
    I've been using Mark's ebook with Convict Conditioning as my Heavy Lifting of Things with great success

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Also look at the book "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. Very nice variety of body weight exercises that will serve your purpose well. A couple of free weights off craigslist and you should be in business for well under $100.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Just follow the workouts on the mainsite with their recommended adjustments. Crappy affiliates are killing Crossfit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast