Thread: Primal Fitness Activities page

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Well today is a special day for me. I have been eating a "healthy" non-CW diet for a year now (paleo + primal and 100% grain and sugar free). I feel I have lost enough weight that I can begin to safely start a fitness program.

Would this YouTube video demonstration be considered a primal fitness activity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9kyUCL6nk

Walking is on top of my list as is body weight exercise/calisthenics. Maybe yoga. Other suggestions welcome for 50 yo overweight guys who have been inactive for over 10 years.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Vick is offline Senior Member

(Love the video)

I'm overweight, over 50 and been inactive for well over 10 years. I enjoy wlking but have slipped out of the habit. I did one today and it felt good.

my spartan 300 is a great body weight routine.

50 hip rotations

25 pushups

50 crunches

25 push ups

50 squats

50 lunges

50 jumping jacks

Try and do them faster each time

I find the body by science big 5 is a great program. I bought a 20 visit gym pass for 100.00. I go once a week.

If you have a piano in the house lifting one end is great for a dead lift

Chunster495 is offline Member

I'd suggest working out with slow motion high intensity training. They're pretty intense and safe to perform. I feel while not totally primal, it's good for building lean muscle mass and doesn't overwork you. I suggest reading body by science.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I may have to start out with the Spartan 50 and work my way up to 300 What is a hip rotation by the way?

Yes. I have read Body By Science. I have also recently purchased Hahn et.al. "Slow Burn Fitness Revolution" though I have yet to read that one.

I was under the impression I needed to be able to master body weight exercises before attempting to progress into weight lifting.

I think I'll also wait on the gymnastics oriented archery activities until I lose the remaining 50 to 60 lbs.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Vick is offline Senior Member

I started with the Spartan 30. Once I got to 300 then I started to time myself.

I'm not 100% in agreement about mastering the body weight first. I was doing static holds before the big 5. I wanted to create the intensity to stimulate muscle growth and to lose body fat. (Applying McDuff's explanation.) I've now learned that so long as your last rep is filled with maximum effort to complete the last rep then do the number of reps that you enjoy doing.

The weight has to be heavy enough to stimulate all muscle types. The heavier the weight the less time spent lifting. That is why static holds are considered the most efficient. An 11 exercise routine is only 55 seconds in duration. It does take about 20 minutes though to adjust the weights for the different routines.

If there is something out there that grabs you go do it. Make it play.