Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me get back into exercise! page

meepster is online now Senior Member

Help me get back into exercise!

Shop Now
    I've been neglecting my exercise routine for a few months, and I'm getting very deconditioned. The routine in question involved a kettlebell and a Shovelglove (8-lb. sledgehammer), as well as some yoga. I'd like to get back into it, but I'm worried about hurting myself - when I tried some kettlebell swings, I immediately got a bit of a twinge in my shoulder, and the Shovelglove exercises (even only a few reps) got my hands really sore. What should I do to get back into my routine safely? (I don't have any other gym equipment other than the kettlebell and the sledgehammer, and I can't afford a gym membership right now)

For what it's worth, my right hand is somewhat weak due to nerve damage, and since I play the piano, I am very paranoid about hands/fingers/wrists. I really don't want to hurt something, but I don't want to become fused to my couch either. Halp?

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    Stretch and warm up. Just enough to get the blood pumping. Body weight workouts can build amazing physiques. If you continue having an unusual amount of pain then see a doctor.
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the bodyweight exeercises...I used kbells 3-4 times a week since I had SLAP surgery on my right shoulder 2 years ago. Are you doing 1 or 2 handed swings?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Once you have your shoulders warmed up you should be able to manage swings as they are more of a posterior chain exercise....the shoulders should only be acting as a hinge.
    Go hard on the body weight exercises.

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

Start very slow, forget the kettlebells for at least 6 months. Get clearance from your doctor and stick at it for 3-4 months minimum.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    I've been neglecting my exercise routine for a few months, and I'm getting very deconditioned. The routine in question involved a kettlebell and a Shovelglove (8-lb. sledgehammer), as well as some yoga. I'd like to get back into it, but I'm worried about hurting myself - when I tried some kettlebell swings, I immediately got a bit of a twinge in my shoulder, and the Shovelglove exercises (even only a few reps) got my hands really sore. What should I do to get back into my routine safely? (I don't have any other gym equipment other than the kettlebell and the sledgehammer, and I can't afford a gym membership right now)

For what it's worth, my right hand is somewhat weak due to nerve damage, and since I play the piano, I am very paranoid about hands/fingers/wrists. I really don't want to hurt something, but I don't want to become fused to my couch either. Halp?
    Defining Exercise | Baye Fitness Systems – Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle | Baye Fitness Systems - Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle

sfd9874 is offline Junior Member
    Start very slow, forget the kettlebells for at least 6 months. Get clearance from your doctor and stick at it for 3-4 months minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    +1 on the bodyweight exeercises...I used kbells 3-4 times a week since I had SLAP surgery on my right shoulder 2 years ago. Are you doing 1 or 2 handed swings?
    2 handed - I figured I'd start slow. It still seems to tweak my right shoulder. Sigh.

And thank you to all of you - I think I'll be doing easy bodyweight exercises for now. I might also acquire some lightweight dumbbells, just to get my hands back in shape.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Walk. A lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast