Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me get back into exercise!

Shop Now
    get some cheap bike gloves. Saves my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave RN View Post
    get some cheap bike gloves. Saves my hands.
    It's not the skin that's the problem - it's the muscles and tendons; I'm afraid of giving myself a case of tendonitis, which I really can't afford now since I have to record a CD next month. I'm not sure gloves will help with that...

If piano is truly your career, I wouldn't risk doing ANY of these exercises just to be Primal.
    I like the suggestion to walk a lot. Or just focus on lower body for now.

For finger strength, get a couple Gripmastersfrom Amazon.

For slow and easy gym workouts, I suggest an exercise ball/balance ball. For 25 bucks you can get a ball from Reebok which includes a reasonably good CD (Tanja Djevela-something). Look up "Ridgeline fitness" for some great video podcasts of balance ball exercises.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently keeping food tracker.

I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and should tweak Primal to their own needs.

The thing is, when I was doing kettlebells on a regular basis, I found that it actually helped my piano playing. You need strong hands to play the piano. So I do want to ease back into weight training. But for now, yes, walking is definitely a wonderful thing, and I've been doing bodyweight squats as well. I'll get back in shape eventually.

Shop Now
    The best grip training I have found is hanging from a bar. I do pull ups, hanging leg lifts, and sometimes I hang from the bar as long as I can. Otherwise I do BW exercises from the convict conditioning program.

I just got back into the swing of things tonight with a sandbag workout but that would probably be a little much for you at this point.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/