Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Addicted to Starbucks page

lazatiger is offline Member

Addicted to Starbucks

Primal Fuel
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but it's the truth.

I am addicted to Starbucks.

Everyone in my office loves it. It also happens to be directly across the road from where I work. In fact, it's so close that I don't even have to go outside to get to it. I can just take the elevator down to the second floor and then walk across the skyway.

I think binging at Starbucks has greatly contributed to my being overweight. I'm 5'2" and 160 lbs. I've been going there for a few years now. The last two years I've been going there non-stop. Sometimes I'll go twice a day on a week day.

I pretty much always order a frappuccino. Usually it's a grande. Today I ordered a venti for the first time in a very long time. For the last year I've been ordering mostly soy, but I recently switched over to dairy. I'm lactose-intolerant, but I figured that if I'm going to indulge, I may as well get something out of it. I've been opting for dairy so that I can get some calcium into my diet. I don't believe that it's a smart way to get my calcium; I just try to find ways to justify my addiction to myself.

Occasionally I order sweetened lattes or mochas, but not very often. I don't believe it makes a difference as long as there's sugar in the picture because it's always bad.

As I said, everyone in my office adores Starbucks and so much so that they occasionally go around taking drink orders and have someone pick it up for me. That saying, I don't even have to leave my desk to enjoy Starbucks.

My family likes to go to Starbucks as well. Whenever we go out, we often stop at Starbucks or hit it up at the mall so we have something to sip while we shop.

Sometimes it makes me ill and sometimes it doesn't. However, I consistently feel dirty and gross whenever I have something from there. I feel like I can't help myself, though. I know I could just order a plain espresso, a tea or an unsweetened latte, but I have no interest in those things. I don't actually like coffee by itself; I like my sugar with coffee and cream. I'm also not a big fan of tea. A lot of the time I order non-tea, non-coffee based drinks from there.

I have a big problem with sugar. I am hugely addicted to it. The problem is that it's always Starbucks that I turn to for it. It's so close and convenient. Sometimes the drinks taste artificial and weird, but other times the yum is mind-blowing. I never know what I'm going to get each day, but I'm always willing to gamble for it.

Starbucks is burning a hole in my pocket. I sometimes spend close to $200.00 a month there. Occasionally I get their breakfast sandwiches, but rarely. I've been known to go in the morning for a drink and a muffin, and then at lunch for a drink and a panini on the very same day. I'm not going to bother adding that up, but it's ridiculous. The paninis alone are over $8.00 and aren't very good.

It's mostly the sugary drinks that get me, though.

I need help. I promised the love of my life that I would never go again, but then one day I cracked because I was tired and went for caffeine (+ sugar, obviously). After that I went again... and again... and again. I went today, too. If I can't do it for him, then will I ever be able to do it?

I don't want to support Starbucks. I don't want to keep giving them my money. It's not worth sabotaging my health for. I want to feel good again and I want to be healthy. I need to keep sugar out of my diet. My mom and my grandma have type 2 diabetes. My great grandma had it when she died. This could be my future, and it scares me, but not enough to keep me away from Starbucks. Do I need professional help or do I just need to man it up?

Any tips? I'm lost :(
    Last edited by lazatiger; 12-05-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Brew your own healthy teas or coffee?
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

lazatiger is offline Member
    Tealia, I've tried that. The trouble is that I don't really like them when I make them at home. I only get coffee-based beverages every now and then. Tea is all right. I think the allure of Starbucks beverages is due to them being very high in sugar and fats (the latter I know are good, but combined are deadly).

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Try manning up for a bit, if that doesn't work get some help. Caffeine addictions are hard to break, there's no shame in getting help.

You'll find that if you were to just get plain coffee from Starbucks that it sucks their sugary drinks are where their profits are! those are amazing! but then, anything is amazing with sugar, milk, caramel, whipped cream and chocolate!
    I get plain coffee there sometimes as it's the only place open on my way to work, and i get it with half and half and i add stevia to it, and it's still just terrible lol. I had coffee in a mom and pop diner that was amazing, much better!

can't really offer you too much advice, try cutting down a bit maybe then go from there? best of luck to you, a habit that delicious is hard to break--but you can do it!

meepster is online now Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of cold turkey when it comes to beating addictions of any kind. Basically, declare the sweet Starbucks concoctions off-limits. When you go there, you only get the unsweetened coffee or tea. Period. As far as you're concerned, there's nothing else there on the menu - just unsweetened coffee or tea. For the record, adding a bit of lemon juice to the coffee makes it more drinkable; my daily morning wake-up brew is espresso with a lemon slice in it. Also, if you give up sweets for a significant length of time, you'll find that your tastebuds recalibrate themselves, and that the sweet concoctions at Starbucks become unbearably sweet. I used to love Starbucks mochas, but I can't drink them anymore - they're too sweet.

You may also try the "No-S" philosophy when it comes to these things - only have them on days beginning with S. This way you don't have to deny yourself the pleasure for very long - only until the next weekend. (look up No S Diet: No snacks, sweets, seconds, except on days that start with S. for more info on that idea)

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    It's not going to be fun, but the best thing is to just cut it entirely.

If you love lattes? Make your own with coconut cream and raw honey at home. Don't go to Starbucks if you know you're going to get a sugary drink! Flee the temptation unless you're 100% certain that you're only going to get tea.

Please try this (Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof...And Your Morning Too | The Bulletproof Executive)! Maybe you won't like it, maybe you'll love it, and I think it's worth the chance that it will help!

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    You're addicted to sugar. Starbucks is just a reliable and predictable source.

Manning up sounds like a good idea. But do it with a plan, there's no point just thinking about not going to Starbucks. Plan what you are going to do/eat/drink when you would normally go to Starbucks. Have that thing easily and quickly available to you. Follow through.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    A great start is to stop referring to a bad habit as an addiction, and while you're at it, cut the 'I cant help myself' crap.
    You can - you just choose not to.
    Sugar is universally shit, so kick it out.
    Caffeine on the other hand boasts a range of goodness, so embrace it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm also a big fan of the cold-turkey method, because I tend to have problems with moderation (I'm an all or nothing person).

I also have a history of sugar addiction and compulsive eating, and I know that dealing with any food addiction is pretty excruciating, because unlike alcohol or cigarettes or other drugs, we have to eat food to survive, we can't just stop eating.

When I'm facing a particularly unhealthy temptation (Last week it was 'hey, since today is my carb reload day, it's ok for me to buy and eat an entire package of cocoa meringues, right?")Instead of saying to myself, 'no, you can't ever have that again it's bad for you" I say "I know you really want those meringues right now, but you can have them some other day. Today you are going to have a sweet potato and some rice, and boy won't that be a treat!" I don't admit that 'some other day' will hopefully never come, and for some reason, it really helps to talk to myself in 2nd person.

I recommend following the sage AA wisdom about taking it one day at a time: Focus on your goal of avoiding Starbucks just for today. At the end of the day, congratulate yourself. A LOT. Repeat this the next day. Don't think about giving it up forever, just for today.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I love going to Starbucks too. It is that do-something-for-myself feeling, you know. We are very much creatures of habit and routine. It's the way we are wired. Not just humans either. If I mess with my dog's routine he gets stressed out.

I would get a venti Chai tea latte every work morning, lining up with all the high school girls getting their candy-bar-in-a-cup, otherwise known as your beloved frappuccino. Actually a candy bar is probably better for you, no lie. After going Primal I realized the Chai was 20 ounces of milk and sugar. I stopped cold turkey. Okay, that's a lie. I had some over the holidays.

Anyway, I agree with others, cut it out cold turkey. Think of something else to do for yourself that is good for you.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast