Thread: Cow's milk cheese alternatives page

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member

Cow's milk cheese alternatives

Shop Now
    I finally got the green light to test out alternative milk cheese as part of an n=1 experiment. I am both lactose and casein intolerant.

I'm looking for suggestions of alternative milk cheeses that come close to the taste of traditional cow's milk cheeses. I tried a buffalo mozzarella this weekend that I didn't care for straight up. Something I could melt for a pizza or snack on would be great.

Thanks!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Goat's milk. Goat's milk much more closely resembles human milk. Contrary to popular belief, goat's milk is far more consumed throughout the world than cow's milk. It also has a much lower protein content, which is where many people experience issues when dealing with dairy. In addition, the fat molecules in goat's milk are much smaller than in cow's milk, so goat's milk is NOT homogenized. That is a HUGE plus as it's the homogenization that often destroys milk. Oh yea, and it's really, really tasty. Look into goat's milk for sure!

Some other cheeses that may work:

- Sheep's milk cheese (it's very sharp, think pecorino romano)
    - Raw grass fed cow's milk cheese

Trader Joe's has an excellent selection of all three cheeses for VERY reasonable prices if you have one nearby. That place is a damn dairy paradise. I could live in their dairy and nut section, dear God. They have raw New Zealand grass fed cheddar for under $5/lb. Normal Cracker Barrel CAFO junk cheese is $6-8/lb at the major grocery store chains. The choice is obvious. That is dirt cheap.

How sweet is that?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-05-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome thanks. I can fly down to the TJ's in Montgomeryville. That's definitely on my to-do list for this weekend!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Yes. Goat's milk. Goat's milk much more closely resembles human milk. Contrary to popular belief, goat's milk is far more consumed throughout the world than cow's milk. It also has a much lower protein content, which is where many people experience issues when dealing with dairy. In addition, the fat molecules in goat's milk are much smaller than in cow's milk, so goat's milk is NOT homogenized. That is a HUGE plus as it's the homogenization that often destroys milk. Oh yea, and it's really, really tasty. Look into goat's milk for sure!

Some other cheeses that may work:

- Sheep's milk cheese (it's very sharp, think pecorino romano)
    - Raw grass fed cow's milk cheese

Trader Joe's has an excellent selection of all three cheeses for VERY reasonable prices if you have one nearby. That place is a damn dairy paradise. I could live in their dairy and nut section, dear God. They have raw New Zealand grass fed cheddar for under $5/lb. Normal Cracker Barrel CAFO junk cheese is $6-8/lb at the major grocery store chains. The choice is obvious. That is dirt cheap.

How sweet is that?
    I heard that the raw milk cheddar contains A1 casein from cows in NE US. In that case, wouldn't you rather vouch for having the non-raw, grass-fed option provided from the New Zealand brand, which had K2 and A2 casein in the first place?