Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jonesin on low carb page 2

jwint Guest

Shop Now

ROBMEDINA . . . thanks for your post. Paul and I didn't start out at the same "point."

Most of the guys I hang out with are still active duty Army and while almost all are chubby, they're well within standards. I, on the other hand, retired to become a commodities trader (12-15 hours on the computer per day) and promptly gained over 100 lbs.

I've taken most of it off and am now aiming for "college weight."

I believe that low carb + heavy weight training saved my life.

jwint Guest

BEAUTY . . . thank you for a great response. Yes, I agree "Gluttony, over-eating due to an eating disorder, and sugar/carb addictions are three different things."

I look at it this way: There are four groups of people when it comes to low carbing.

Group 1 has no interest in it. They eat whatever they want . . . carbs, fat, protein, etc. Includes most Americans.

Group 4 are the committed low carbers who have reached a desired weight or have curbed their appetite sufficiently to be making easy progress towards weight loss. These folks can take short vacations from low carb (like holidays and cruises) and then go right back to low carbing because they are mentally COMMITTED.

Group 2 and 3 are the On Again/Off Again low carbers . . . a.k.a. OA2s or Intermittent Carbers (ICs).

Group 2 people use low carb short-term to achieve some goal then go back to their old ways. This includes figure athletes, people getting ready for a wedding or to go on a trip. A lot of military people use low carb intermittently. For example, PT test coming up, promotion board or time to submit a new photo. They shrink and get lean then go back to doing what they were doing.

Group 3 is the crowd of people who are wanting to adopt low carb as a lifestyle and are in that first one or two months . . . and/or maybe their fourth or fifth attempt to adopt the lifestyle.

Group 1, 2 and 3 is where I see the problem of over-eating for some other reason besides nutrition.

I've read theories about FOOD WEIGHT being important . . . i.e., people must consume a certain weight of food to be satiated. Others talk about volume or the "warmth factor."

The gentleman I described in my post (I believe) still eats large quantities of low carb because he needs to feel full. If he stays on a low carb diet and joins Group 4 that fullness should come faster. (That's how it worked for me.)

The problem is that many Group 2 & 3 folks believe low carb is a panacea that allows free-range overfeeding, grazing . . . whatever you want to call it.

The point I would like to emphasize is that Group 2 & 3 folks need to be VERY calorie conscious.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I keep a decent BF (not a six-pack but not bad at all) while binging on Paleo foods on a regular basis. I am active-ish but don't work out or go to they gym.

Since I am not interested in "a beach body" and I can keep my wight completely effortlessly while gorging on fatty meat, counting calories seems silly to me.

It's quality, people, not quantity. QUALITY. Improve quality and the body will take care of the quantity.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Greg B is offline Junior Member

I believe if someone is in the middle of a difficult transition, as jwint describes, and is binging on low carb foods, that is not something to worry about. If you simply add in further restrictions, that person will just get more discouraged and be more likely to go back to eating whatever.

The key point is that eventually this person lowers their total intake. The important takeaway point is eventually. So long as they avoid high carb foods, I would encourage them to continue, knowing that most likely they will find an equilibrium where their appetite limits total intake to appropriate levels.

It's important to keep in mind that people at different points in their life need different goals. An appropriate goal for someone a few years into low carb eating is optimization of some aspect.

An appropriate goal for someone just starting is avoid high carb foods. This may not be ideal, but it is already an improvement. It is merely the first step of many.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12