Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: BulletProof Coffee page 51

Willsellout is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey folks, new member here. I have been doing primal off and on for the past year or so. I have a tendency to fall off the wagon from time to time. Anyway, I'm back on with primal and I started drinking some BP coffee in the mornings to replace my breakfasts. I found a local high quality roaster to provide my beans. I've heard Dave's coffee is a bit on the weak side in flavor and I prefer a more robust cup so I shop locally. It's not any cheaper.

I make my morning BP coffee with 16-20 ounces of high quality coffee in my french press with 40-50 grams of butter (about 3 tbsp) and 2-3 tbs of MCT oil. I've also been adding a teaspoon of stevia but i'm working to remove the sweetener all together.

MCT oil is tricky, you really need to start slow. I started with one tbsp and worked my tolerance up from there. It's difficult for me to find purely grassfed butter, even in the fairly organic laden Pacific Northwest, so I normally go with organic butter or with european unsalted butters. As far as taste is concerned, I much prefer Lurpak butter (Not totally grassfed). It's just delicious. Organic valley organic butter is also excellent (not totally grassfed). Organic valley has a pastured butter available right now but it's slightly salted so I just stick with the best unsalted instead. I don't really give too much consideration to most of Dave's recommendations because it's just too stringent and, if I'm being honest, a lot of the stuff on his site wreaks of snake oil.

I definitely recommend trying the BP coffee though. I drink it at around 7am and it holds me over until about 11am and provides a ton of focus and energy. MCT oil and a high quality coffee is key.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Too much of a fat gram bomb to have every day.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Too much of a fat gram bomb to have every day.
    MyFitnessPal shows 600 cals, 54 g fat (assuming 3 tbls MCT)

I shudder to think I was drinking this stuff during a period of time I had sworn off tracking cals. OP, just stay aware of what's going on with your body and if your weight isn't doing what you think it should be doing you might scrutinize this beverage. Despite the website's claims that it is a magic fat burner, that hasn't been the real life experience of many people, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    MyFitnessPal shows 600 cals, 54 g fat (assuming 3 tbls MCT)

I shudder to think I was drinking this stuff during a period of time I had sworn off tracking cals. OP, just stay aware of what's going on with your body and if your weight isn't doing what you think it should be doing you might scrutinize this beverage. Despite the website's claims that it is a magic fat burner, that hasn't been the real life experience of many people, myself included.
    Yeah I agree with all of this. I consider myself very lucky that I was extremely active during the time I fell for the whole Bulletproof Coffee craze. I think the biggest problem, aside from the massive calorie bomb, is the fact that it suppresses hunger to the point of not wanting to eat until 6 PM. This may seem great for someone trying to lose weight, but in reality you're replacing valuable micronutrients with a huge shit-ton of butter and MCT oil (which aren't bad at all, but they're certainly not the most nutrient dense foods in the world).

So if you're going to drink BP coffee, just make sure you're getting plenty of food in as well so you don't run into any nutrient deficiencies.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I know I am late to the dance here. I made my first cup of bulletproof coffee this morning. Two TB butter, two TB coconut oil. I should never had knocked this until I tried it. Quite rich and delicious. I did add a couple of drops of stevia, but I could definitely drink this without the sweetener.

Whether or not this helps with fat loss or any other aspect of health is irrelevant. I just like the way it tastes.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post

Whether or not this helps with fat loss or any other aspect of health is irrelevant. I just like the way it tastes.
    That's me. I don't give a crap about any health benefits or whatever; I drink it because that sh*t is delicious. I like starting my day with it.

Sent via lightsaber

Also, I only had salted butter on hand, and it tasted great. I will try with some unsalted next time, but can't imagine it being any better.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Also, I only had salted butter on hand, and it tasted great. I will try with some unsalted next time, but can't imagine it being any better.
    The only time I had salted coffee was when my friends wanted me to puke the excess alcohol I had been drinking. I was 19 y.o. and still remember the badness of it ... (it did succeed)

The butter is only salted though, and not "salty". I agree, I don't think I would like my coffee to taste salty.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Salted butter is awesome in BP Coffee if you add some sort of caramel. Otherwise, unsalted wins.

Sent via lightsaber

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast