Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: BulletProof Coffee page 40

BygoneCat is offline Member
    Would this work with just coconut oil? I am avoiding butter - so sad I know - in an effort to reduce autoimmune inflammation.

dana_leigh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BygoneCat View Post
    Would this work with just coconut oil? I am avoiding butter - so sad I know - in an effort to reduce autoimmune inflammation.
    not sure whether it's considered pure BPC, but i hardly ever use butter/ghee in mine. i use coconut oil OR MCT oil (which is coconut + palm oil) and coconut milk. i don't put tons in and don't blend it (so might not have the texture of pure BPC) but works well for me (i prefer MCT oil over pure coconut oil).

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sora View Post
    I've tried this coffee for the past few days, and I'm not quite sold on it. I brew about 6oz in my Aeropress with cinnamon and then chuck in about 3 TB of unsalted kerrygold and 1 tsp of coconut oil. I then add a few drops of stevia extract and since I don't have a hand blender I just use a wisk. It ends up tasting pretty decent, but I still feel hungry a couple hours later. I've also gained about 3 lbs since I've started drinking it, even though I've been using it as a breakfast replacement. What I usually eat for breakfast is leftovers, eggs, or Trader Joe's gluten free chicken sausage.

As a side note, I have noticed that I tolerate this coffee drink better - no stomach discomfort at all with the butter added.
    I made this Saturday morning for the first time and I was starving only an hour later, although I don't think I added enough fat only used a couple of tsp of coconut oil and felt a little queasy two hours after - could this be the gastro discomfort people mention?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    I made this Saturday morning for the first time and I was starving only an hour later, although I don't think I added enough fat only used a couple of tsp of coconut oil and felt a little queasy two hours after - could this be the gastro discomfort people mention?
    I heard pure coconut oil can make people queasy if they're not used to digesting pure fat properly. I guess you can try it several more times until your body gets used to it. As for the hunger, I think it's because you're not putting enough fat into it. I use a Tbsp each of butter and coco oil and it's completely fine for me, on hungry breakfast mornings and non-hungry breakfasts alike.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry, I tried this again today with the quantities of butter specified and the whole thing made me feel sick, the slick oily feeling of the fat and the coconut oil....I think I'm going to give this one a miss but good luck with it if you are trying it out....
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

dana_leigh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I heard pure coconut oil can make people queasy if they're not used to digesting pure fat properly. I guess you can try it several more times until your body gets used to it. As for the hunger, I think it's because you're not putting enough fat into it. I use a Tbsp each of butter and coco oil and it's completely fine for me, on hungry breakfast mornings and non-hungry breakfasts alike.
    one of the speakers at the paleo summit mentioned the difficulty of digesting fats and oils until your body is used to it--i'm fairly certain i heard it from Dr. Allison Siebecker in her talk on troubleshooting common digestive disorders on a paleo diet (but if anyone knows for sure and i'm wrong, please correct me). anyway, the advice was to introduce new things (such as higher quantities of fats/oils than someone is used to) slowly. allow your body time to adapt to the shift in what it is being asked to digest.

that being said, i have never used the rec'ed quantity of butter/oils in my BPC. if i did, i might find it unappealing. as is, with my greatly reduced quantities, i love it!

RobOK is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry, I tried this again today with the quantities of butter specified and the whole thing made me feel sick, the slick oily feeling of the fat and the coconut oil....I think I'm going to give this one a miss but good luck with it if you are trying it out....
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing... you can just use unsalted butter w/o the MCT and Coconut Oil. Ease into it.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    The recipe as written is a bit burly for me. I started with 1/2-1 tbls of butter and 1/2-1 tbls of cocunut oil per large sized mug. I find this recipe to be my sweet spot. It's delicious and charges me up real good. Been doing it regularly for about three months now. Love it.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dana_leigh View Post
    interesting...i experience the opposite effect. i usually workout in the a.m. fasted (except for BP coffee about an hour before)--generally CF or bikram, sometimes other stuff (e.g., walking/running). feels like a huge energy boost and performance enhancer without the weighted down, sluggish feeling i get if i workout in a non-fasted state.
    Yeah, me too. I can't swing it during the weekdays, but on the weekends I really like waking up hitting the BPC and then doing my workout (usually about 1-2 hours after the BPC *not* right away) and it's great. I feel like I have so much energy!!
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think this would be hard to drink because I'd want to put stevia in it, not butter, and that would just get my insulin going.

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast