Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BulletProof Coffee page 4

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    I read the article and bought some MCT oil just for this purpose. But in reading more about it I probably could have just substituted coconut oil instead of MCT.

Going to try this with Ghee, since I don't have any grass-fed butter.

It is ok to sweeten with a bit of honey... or try my best to get used to it un-sweetened?

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so I just made this after reading about it for the first time last night in this thread and I'm drinking it now. I actually debated making it for about 20 minutes this morning because I didn't want to ruin my morning coffee or waste 1/2 a stick of my organic grass-fed butter. In the spirit of trying something new I decided to go for it.

Awesome!... and I'm really shocked to be saying that. If I had to place a bet beforehand I'd have put my money on hating it and dumping it down the drain. I was really worried that it'd just be oily coffee with an overwhelming butter taste. It's not! It's creamy (not oily) and somehow I actually don't really taste the butter. It's just super creamy coffee that goes down smooth.

Here's what I did for reference:
    - roughly 4 cups of hot coffee
    - exactly 1/2 stick of butter (grass-fed)
    - roughly 1/4 cup of half & half (grass-fed)

I put these ingredients in a blender and blended on the lowest setting for about 15-20 seconds. Now I'm drinking it.

Thanks for the thread guys, now I've got a new quick and easy breakfast idea when there's nothing else in the house!

I quit sugar in my coffee 'cold turkey' a couple of weeks ago, and between stumbling upon this and finding an epic espresso bean, I'm hooked. I was using 2TB+ of raw sugar!

Coffee I use: Dark Roast - Double Dark from Joebella Coffee Roasters

We've got a $40 Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I pull just over 3 shots. Then I steam up 1/4-1/2 cup of heavy cream, add a large pat of Kerrygold butter, stir well. My imitation aero-latte will be here today
    (MCT/coconut oil goes straight through me lol)

If you're not used to caffeine, tread lightly! This stuff goes straight to your head! If I make one in the afternoon it will keep me up until almost midnight

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I used a stick blender and was surprised at how nicely the butter and MCT oil emulsified into a delightful froth. I used
    - 2 cups coffee
    - 2 tbsp. pastured butter
    - 2 tbsp. MCT oil

Nom! And no quick trip to the toilet.

sunnie123 is offline Junior Member
    I tried this for the first time this morning. I used coconut oil and Kerrygold butter. So rich and delicious! I'm hooked!

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Yep.. got some un-salted Kerrygold for this purpose only (found out theres a place right down the road that sells it).

2 tbs of Kgold, a bit of MCT, and a tiny bit of honey (although I'll probably try to quit that entirely). Who knew that butter would blend into coffee so well? The richness and creamyness of Kerrygold probably helps, too.

Drinking some now-- really delicious. Going to see how far it can get me past lunch, just for kicks.

PJL75 is offline Junior Member
    I'm from Sweden and for some reason no organic butter that's unsalted exist here. So of course I made my own
    It's quite simple, actually. Here's how to do it, in case somebody is in the same situation as me.
    Whip cream until it starts to "water", then put it in a sieve and let run of for a while. Then you need to "clean" it. I did it by putting a pot full of cold water in my sink under the faucet., let a slow stream of cold water run into the pot. Now submerge the butter in the cold water and go to work kneading and squeezing it. When the water no longer is cloudy, your butter is done!
    I did this with 600ml of cream, and the resulting butter weighed aprox. 250g.
    It took maybe 15 minutes in all, most of it was spent whipping the cream.

/Johan

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I just don't understand why drinking a 400+ calorie, 100% fat cup of coffee in the morning is any different
    than just EATING your 400 calories of something more nutritious.

I'm totally not bashing it at ALL, and it sounds freaking tasty as hell, I just don't understand.

And how in the world could you set yourself up for being a "fat burner" all day, when your body is so
    busy burning off your 500 calories of butter and coconut oil? Does it really get done with that and say "okay
    fat cells! we've been burning this lovely dietary fat from our stomach for 6 hours, now it's time to move
    to the fat on our ass!" Me thinks not.

I know that the dude on the link lost lotsa weight having this concoction for breakfast every day, but maybe
    in the long run, it was just because it resulted in lower calories for the day.

Now if he was eating upwards of 5K cals a day AND drinking this stuff, then shit, I'm all over it.

All right, don't flog me - I'm just curious and asking the question that maybe other's are wondering too!

Julie

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    I made this with virgin coconut oil. Yes, it CAN be made that way, and especially good for those avoiding dairy. It tasted really really good, though definitely less 'rich'.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I just don't understand why drinking a 400+ calorie, 100% fat cup of coffee in the morning is any different
    than just EATING your 400 calories of something more nutritious.

I'm totally not bashing it at ALL, and it sounds freaking tasty as hell, I just don't understand.

And how in the world could you set yourself up for being a "fat burner" all day, when your body is so
    busy burning off your 500 calories of butter and coconut oil? Does it really get done with that and say "okay
    fat cells! we've been burning this lovely dietary fat from our stomach for 6 hours, now it's time to move
    to the fat on our ass!" Me thinks not.

I know that the dude on the link lost lotsa weight having this concoction for breakfast every day, but maybe
    in the long run, it was just because it resulted in lower calories for the day.

Now if he was eating upwards of 5K cals a day AND drinking this stuff, then shit, I'm all over it.

All right, don't flog me - I'm just curious and asking the question that maybe other's are wondering too!

Julie
    1 tablespoon of my grass fed raw butter has 90 calories. Put that in a cup of tea and I feel like I have had a meal. It allows me to skip a meal easily or to "hold out" when the slow cooker still has a few more hours to go until dinner. So satiety allows lower calorie intake overall.

The "fat burning" stuff has to do with getting our carbs down low enough to trigger ketosis. So if someone has a bulletproof tea or coffee instead of a carb heavy meal, it is helping lower overall carb consumption.

I do agree that one can't live by bulletproof drinks alone. We still need to get our protein, etc. from real food. The drinks just help lower the quantity of calories and shift the balance of the quality of calories (i.e. GCBC) away from carbs and toward fat.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast