Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: BulletProof Coffee page 10

Primal Fuel
    That's not true! Coconut is roughly 60% MCT, but there are 4 types of MCT. The stuff I recommend is extracted from 6 TIMES as much coconut oil. (plus it has no flavor...) and it makes for a less "heavy" feel to the drink. It tastes better and has significant effects on your cognitive performance in conjunction with the butter.

RobOK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofexec View Post
    Hi guys - I'm Dave Asprey, and you're talking about my coffee!

I also wrote a detailed post for people looking to buy the cleanest coffee (besides mine) in their city explaining exactly how to do it. Good coffee online or offline costs about $16/bag, even from mass market vendors like Peet's. Mine is $18, and it's processed in a way even better than the wet process method, and exceeds Fair Trade standards.
    Dave,

Thanks for all the good information about coffee (and many other things on your site), I wrote a positive note about it above. To clarify, your coffee is 18.95 for 3/4 pound which is $25 /lb. I am a big fan of the coffee so far, and I think people on this site understand some food products you have to pay more for unique processing (e.g. grass fed beef). I think you lay out the benefits well.

Rob.

InSearchOfAbs, that made me laugh. Read my site! I ate 4500 calories per day, without working out, sleeping less than 5 hours a night, for TWO YEARS using Bulletproof Coffee. One of my coaching clients lost 75lbs in 75 days using Bulletproof Coffee (and some other biohacker tricks).

It takes your body time to switch into ketosis. Having butter for breakfast with no carbs/protein, after a (sleeping) fast, tells your body to use fat because there's nothing else to do, so it switches in to ketosis quickly. Then it stays there for a while, until you eat some carbs. Keep using MCT with the carbs, and you can probably stay in ketosis anyway.

Argh! It's not the quantity of calories! My 2 year experiment showed this (if calories were real, I'd weigh 616 lbs at the end of my 4500 cals/day for 2 years...). It's about leptin, and toxins, and mTOR, and hormones. Calories are a mean prank played on fat people, who actually do eat less calories than thin people. Read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" for some awesome research...it is hard to be paleo/primal and still believe the calorie myth.

afroette is offline Member
    i thought caffeine was bad?
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying this. Sounds disgusting but it's actually delicious. Blending it makes all the difference, I guess. I haven't gotten too particular with it, just regular unsalted butter and freshly ground coffee, so I'm probably not getting the full superhumanly awesome Bulletproof experience. Still damn tasty, though!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I make this with coconut oil (will it have th same benefits as mct? Need to find out where I can get mct in Australia but haven't looked yet) I use only half the amount of butter but it still keeps me going for ages even through a heavy workout

urbansix is offline Member
    I might also point out (I did not see it anywhere in a post) that the Upgraded coffee comes to $17.20/lb or $12.90/bag (with shipping) if purchased in 5lb quantity. That makes as good a deal on gourmet coffee of any source that I've found. Order placed!

Laura B is offline Member
    After reading this thread I decided to try this. I used a tablespoon of Kerrygold butter and my Bf's crappy Folger's coffee. It was good reminded me of a latte. The next time I try this, I will use some coconut oil and better organic coffee.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofexec View Post

I also wrote a detailed post for people looking to buy the cleanest coffee (besides mine) in their city explaining exactly how to do it. Good coffee online or offline costs about $16/bag, even from mass market vendors like Peet's. Mine is $18, and it's processed in a way even better than the wet process method, and exceeds Fair Trade standards. The wet process coffees are fermented for some amount of time, between 8 hours and several days, which introduces neuroactive chemicals from the fungus that ferments it (the strains are whatever grew on the beans - not scientifically controlled during green coffee processing). Those make you jittery, but less jittery than natural process green coffee (which sits in a field in the sun gathering whatever grows on it - or poops on it). Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee is mechanically processed, which means fresh water is used to agitate the beans until the outer layer is done, then they are dried quickly. A vanishingly small percentage of beans are processed with this superior, but more expensive method. If you can't find mechanical, wet is your best bet.
    So the natural fungus and whatever else that grows on the beans on the trees is good but the stuff that grows on it while it dries in the field is bad? What about that coffee that gets pooped out of a civet cat? Good or bad. I've always wanted to at least try that kind of coffee just to say I have, but it's darned expensive so I never have.

I get my coffee from some fair-trade bins at the healthfood store. It's actually really good coffee. I get the decaf french roast and it tastes better than most regular coffees. But there's no information on how it is processed. I would rather buy from my healthfood store than from a corporate giant.

I never thought of taking this with me to work. I may try to put it in a thermos and take it to work and see if it survives.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast