Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting PB while training for my first half marathon? page 2

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    @ Luckylis, if you can afford UCAN it's not a bad product. It may act as a buffer to allow you to burn more ketone bodies for fuel but its not a magic bullet that will prevent gylcogen burning. It may delay the onset of depletion but it will not PREVENT it. I'm just saying that for a substantially lower cost you can reap about 90% of the same benefit from a little whole food and maltodextrin. The statement I typed earlier and you quoted is just a simple fact. When you run out of glycogen you are going to have to drastically reduce output (walk or stop). there is no way around it, you body will sense the levels and to preserve glucose for the brain to function, it's going start stutting down muscle function.

jimsiff is offline Junior Member
    I went primal about two months ago and just ran my first half marathon a little over a week ago. I didn't do anything special leading up to the race other than pound some sweet potatoes in the couple days leading up to the race to make sure my glycogen stores were topped off. I had a primal breakfast the day of the race (eggs, bacon, veggies, etc), and drank plenty of water. I brought no fuel with me, and only drank a little water on-course. I finished in a sprint and hammered out a 1:40:52 time with energy left in the tank. I think people tend to over-think things. You have plenty of time to go primal and reprogram yourself to burn fat first. Just get out there and see what your body can do.

As a point of reference, I'm 37, 6'2", 193 lbs, casual runner, in decent shape.

fidens is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, my biggest problem right now is starting it. Grains have become such a staple in my diet I find myself eating them without thinking. One of my favourite quick snacks are these whole grain energy bars (packed with omega-3 and all natural fats, no trans). But it's still a grain granola. I love stir fry, my favourite dish to cook is chicken and rice, and I spend about 80 hours a week running my business, an another 40 at my day job until my business can support me, so I'm always on the run, quick foods almost always have tons of carbs.

Crookette is offline Junior Member
    I've just started eating Primal in the last week and today is the first day of my 16 week training cycle for a half marathon. I've been running off and on for the last 6 years and have done a bunch of 5ks, a 10k and the Country Music 1/2 marathon back in 2007 which was awful because the temps got up to the 90s that day!! After training in the cold winter of Maine my body couldn't handle the temps. It's a great half though, have fun!
    Anyway, since starting to eat Primal my runs haven't been fun. I definitely don't have as much energy during the run; feel like I'm starting the run already bonked. Will this change as my body adapts to eating this way? Right now I'm running about 20 miles a week and plan to get up to around 35 before the half with and 11 or 12 mile long run a couple weeks before the "race". I'm a slow runner now (10/min mile pace) but hope to lower that time after losing weight and getting through the training cycle. Any tips?

runningout is offline Junior Member
    Hi Crookette, you might be still carb-runner...
    If your runs are on aerobic zone, you should see the improvement quite fast, say in 2 weeks, when body adapts for fat metabolism. Just take easy start.
    But if you run over aerobic zone, then it's harder, because by definition your body asks for more sugar for fuel, but you have it less available.
    Ofcource one can always get the carbs for run, but I think getting better at fat metabolism is worth of some struggle at start...

Best way to define YOUR OWN aerobic heart rate zone is to go for a lab test with either blood lactate ($) or gas mask measurements (accurate,$$).
    Easy way to define it roughly is to use e.g. Phil Maffetone's 180-equation (180 - age , +/- some beats depending on your aerobic condition).
    The training zone would be the calculated value and 10 beats down from it. E.g. for 37 years old with some training few times a week, training zone could be 133-143 beats per minute. It's very common that those heart rates seem impossibly low at start, but it gets better in 2 months..
    There is quite very big variation in aerobic threshold and fat metabolism between individuals, but everyone can improve theirs by training & eating right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12