Thread: Former Athlete (boxer) turned fatty page

donnieR32 is offline Member

Former Athlete (boxer) turned fatty

For the majority of my life I've been athletic, in-shape, and built well and diet didn't really matter to me. There came a time when I needed to drop 27 lbs. in order to be in a more desirable weight class (I'm 5'9" and weighed 185) I was not going to fight at that height and THAT weight, I would get killed. So, I changed up my diet and with a great boxing training program I dropped the weight. And man I felt great, but I was still taking in tons of pasta, potatoes, cereal, breakfast bars.

Fast forward all these years and a career change and a horrible diet, man I'm burned out, tired, bloated, and ALWAYS hungry. I hit the gym 3-4 days a week, but my body and how I feel aren't where they should be. I stumbled upon this Primal diet/lifestyle and I decided it was perfectly inline with what I wanted (no processed foods) except with the addition of a few other steps that you all are already aware of. I did me research and realized it made sense so, Tuesday will be my official start date (going to the store/butcher tomorrow). I'm excited to see the changes as I know my current diet is the cause of hunger, bloating, and the building blocks for certain diseases.

I look forward to tracking progress and look forward to meeting and sharing ideas with everyone here.

hardinfast is offline Junior Member
    Hi, Donnie. I'm in the same boat; athletic my whole life with never a real concern with a specific diet- I was always able to "burn it off" through training. Well, things got a little more difficult as I passed 40, and I couldn't just keep ramping up the intensity of training indefinitly. I was also hungry ALL the time but I just wan't feeling fit, despite my work.
    My research led me here and this is my second week living the system and I'm liking it quite a bit. It's not that hard but there are a couple of challenges. I need to tweak my meal portions because I am finding myself distractingly hungry 2 hours after eating. My workouts are high intensity conditioning routines and strength work and I am also a life-long martial artist, so maybe I need more calories?
    Whatever, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Donnie. I am 40 and have had the same cycle where the CW diet and exercise was becoming unsustainable and ineefective. Since going primal I have been able to get more results, feel better and more energetic all with less time working out in the gym but focusing on intensity when I do work.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

donnieR32 is offline Member
    Great to hear it guys!!!! Once I stopped boxing my health took a nose dive. It was as if I ate such a regimented diet for so long, once I got the chance I started eating whatever I wanted. Hopefully, at 27 I realized what I was doing and made a change. Today is my first day and here is what breakfast looked like: 2 eggs, 1 cup of spinach, 2 slices bacon, 2 slices turkey, 1 cup flax milk. Hopefully, I'm on the right track.

Jimmy Coolbreeze is offline Junior Member

Hey Donnie

Well congratulations on changing your lifestyle back to a healthy one. I have a question...how is the flax milk? I've had almond milk, and I know there's rice and hemp milk, but I've never heard of flax milk.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have never heard of flax milk either. Doesn't sound too appealing. LOL.

Welcome Donnie. As I am sure you have noticed, about 80% of any bodyfat goal is going to be diet related whereas the actual type of physique is training based. I wish I had knew how to box worth a damn.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.