Thread: Aged Steak Salmoriglio page

msojka is offline Junior Member

Aged Steak Salmoriglio

Shop Now
    I am fortunate to get a 1/4 steer each year from a friend who raises them in his pasture so the meat is organic, hormone and antibiotic free and grass fed. Plus the animal is humanely harvested.

So, I get the 1/4 around late Nov or early Dec and this year I am still waiting on it. But, a few days ago while searching around in the chest freezer I found one T-bone and one rib-eye steak. Here is my current fave recipe that was enjoyed tonight.

1. Thaw the steak
    2. As soon as thawed or even a little before get a wire rack. Put a paper towel on the rack. Put the steak on the paper towel. Put a paper towel on top of the steak. Then put in the refrigerator.
    3. Each day change the paper towels.
    4. Leave steaks in frig for 3 - 4 days.
    6. Let steaks come to room temp (1 - 2 hours)
    7. After they are room temp, salt them and let stand for 1 hour more.
    8. Prepare Salmoriglio sauce by blending 1 tblspn olive oil, 1 tblspn lemon juice, 1 tspn lemon zest, 1 tblspn oregano, 1 tblspn thyme and fresh ground pepper to taste together with a whisk. Fresh herbs preferred but not necessary.
    9. Heat oven to 350 degrees
    10. Heat cast iron grill skillet to just smoking hot. You want the meat to sizzle when it hits the pan.
    11. My steaks are cut thin at 3/4" so I can eat the whole thing so these times are based on that thickness.
    12. Sear in grill skillet 2 minutes on each side
    13. Place pan in 350 degree oven for 2 minutes for medium-rare. If you have thicker steaks or want them cooked more increase the time in the oven.
    14. Take out of oven and place on a warmed plate.
    15. Spread Salmoriglio mixture on the steaks.
    16. Cover steaks with tin foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
    17. Eat and Enjoy!

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Heavenly! My mouth got all wet just reading this. Heading to the "outside freezer" NOW. I'll have to use dried oregano, but my thyme is happily wintering on my enclosed front porch.

msojka is offline Junior Member

another easy salmoriglio sauce

Quote Originally Posted by KWM View Post
    Heavenly! My mouth got all wet just reading this. Heading to the "outside freezer" NOW. I'll have to use dried oregano, but my thyme is happily wintering on my enclosed front porch.
    Another real easy way to make the salmorigio which I did for lamb loins yesterday was mix pesto, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper. That was excellent on the lamb and would probably be excellent on beef as well.