Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeing Paleo All Around Me Now

Thumbs up Seeing Paleo All Around Me Now

Shop Now
    I just got back from New Seasons (similar to Whole Foods, only better, locally owned), and Paleo was everywhere.

They had Paleo Magazine at the checkout counter, and in the books section (which isn't even that big) they had FOUR Paleo books: Cordain's book, Wolf's book, Everyday Paleo recipe book, and Paleo Comfort Foods recipe book). Both of the recipe books were prominently displayed right at eye level.

Portland's got a Paleo restaurant, it seems (I haven't been), which I saw advertised in Paleo Magazine.

A handful of times now, I've seen other shoppers who have GOT to be eating Paleo. (Our carts look quite different from everyone else's.)

Last week, while eating at New Seasons, there was a big jock/frat boy type who was mowing through a BAS and drinking water. This guy was a classic cheeseburger, fries, and Coke kinda guy, so I couldn't help but notice. He was sitting with probably his dad, who was asking him, "So what do you use to cook in?" (didn't hear the answer) and then later I caught a snippet: "food as medicine."

Is anybody else noticing such things in their area? I'm in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

It doesn't seem to have hit rural Sussex, UK yet! I look at the things other people are buying and I want to weep!!!

But I do notice when I ask for lamb liver or ox cheek etc at my butcher, that my butcher says a lot of people are asking for these things now....

Sure - you are talking about the trendiest city in the country, of course, you know. In Brooklyn, I see vibrams constantly, my co-op is packed to the gills, the "meashares" sell out within a day, paleo is "what everyone is doing now" according to one person I talked to.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I am the only one I ever see buying the meat at the food coop. There is no butcher counter there, just frozen packs of grass-fed meat in one half of one section of the freezer. I load up my basket with meat, eggs, butter and cream then go wait in line with the vegans.

When I go to the other health food stores, I get in line with people who have tons of grain products, pre-made items and those health food store versions of typical SAD junk. I just have my fish, buffalo, fancy cheese and vegetables.

I know I'm not the only person, but I have yet to see anyone else with a basket like mine.

I kind of fear the day that paleo becomes cool because then it will get co-opted, diluted and sold in packages with advertising and prizes inside.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I saw a guy the other month in Trader Joes with a paleo shopping list, not sure where it was printed from, but I did say something to him about it.
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

I haven't noticed anything around me either -- suburban SoCal. My store where I get the organics and the good meats and the local eggs pushes heavily vegetarian. I don't care -- better selection for me. Paleo might be more prevalent more toward LA, dunno, but it's such a veggie stronghold I'd be surprised.
    And the only other person I've ever seen wearing Vibrams is a guy I introduced them to at work.

I work at a high-end breakfast restaurant, and it seems like we get low-carb and paleoish mod requests more than anything else; way more than low-fat requests.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Yup. I had trouble finding Paleo ingredients in the Memphis area because they were SOLD OUT over the Thanksgiving week.

There were three guys wearing vibrams at my gym the other day including the Power Ranger who works out there. Did I mention that I work out with a Power Ranger?!?! (possibly Green Ranger, but I'm too scared to ask).
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Shop Now
    Just stumbled across this on a non-paleo site today.