Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free Bread (machine) Recipes? page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Gluten Free Bread (machine) Recipes?

Primal Fuel
    I tend to eat quite a bit of starch / carbs to supplement my training and sports and I would like to possibly make some bread using some more benign starches like tapioca or white rice flours.

I have been buying Ener-G brand tapioca bread lately which isn't fantastic and some of the ingredients are pretty meh, so I'd like to make my own and have better control over what goes in it.

Anyone have any good bread recipes that don't involve crazy ass amounts of ingredients? So many recipes out there for a simple gluten free bread require rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, and on and on and on. I don't want a pantry full of flours, basically.

I have a bread machine sitting in storage so i'm hoping to put that sucker to use again.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    I've recently started using a flour mix that should be able to replace simple wheat flour perfectly. I haven't made bread with it yet but the cake I made according to a normal wheat flour recipe worked perfectly and so did the 'speculaas'. So basically when using this mix you should be able to use just any normal bread recipe.

6 parts rice flour (I think I have white, although it doesn't say so specificly)
    2 parts potato flour
    1 part tapioca flour

Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    I've recently started using a flour mix that should be able to replace simple wheat flour perfectly. I haven't made bread with it yet but the cake I made according to a normal wheat flour recipe worked perfectly and so did the 'speculaas'. So basically when using this mix you should be able to use just any normal bread recipe.

6 parts rice flour (I think I have white, although it doesn't say so specificly)
    2 parts potato flour
    1 part tapioca flour
    Wow, you completely read my mind, I was literally about to post the same thing.

Here is what I've come up with that I'm going to try as my flour blend in my next loaf:

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup potato flour

I am wondering if I should use potato flour or potato starch, but I'll just have to experiment.

Those are the most benign flours I can come up with, and I think it'll work

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Wow, you completely read my mind, I was literally about to post the same thing.

Here is what I've come up with that I'm going to try as my flour blend in my next loaf:

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup potato flour

I am wondering if I should use potato flour or potato starch, but I'll just have to experiment.

Those are the most benign flours I can come up with, and I think it'll work
    I'd go with flour, from what I read you'd need xantham gum (to replace the gluten) if you use potato starch. I'm skeptical of why this wouldn't be needed with potato flour but as I said, so far it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Carney View Post
    Health is Wealth:
    we should eat fresh and healthy food and vegetables,
    which makes us healthy and also doing exercise.....
    I am 5 foot 6 and a weigh 250lbs or so. I've never eaten a vegetable in my life.

This single post has totally convinced me to put down the starches and try to get into shape.

Thank you so much.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    The purpose of a bread machine is to mix in the yeast, give it time to rise, and knead the dough, all of which is needed to develop the GLUTEN in the wheat flour. Without the gluten, you don't need all that mixing and rising. When you use baking soda or eggs to duplicate the rising of the dough, your recipe is what's called a "quick bread", and you want to make sure that you do not over-mix your dough or it will become dense and tough.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    thank u dragon mama, that's all i need to know that fer shure that bread machine i inherited is going in the goodwill pile.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    If you MUST have grain based bread replacements and don't want to make your own, the best brand I have found anywhere is called Udi's. When I was in Utah for a marathon a few weeks ago, I tried their blueberry muffins and they were tasty and had the carbs i wanted for my race. It's more of a treat for me, something I will eat perhaps once a month or something. BE careful because it is a slippery slope into a world of "replacement foods" that are really unnecessary and not all that good for us.

Cheers,

Dave

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I am 5 foot 6 and a weigh 250lbs or so. I've never eaten a vegetable in my life.

This single post has totally convinced me to put down the starches and try to get into shape.

Thank you so much.
    This makes me laugh.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Look into Pćo de Queijo. It doesn't get much more Primal than Brazilian cheese bread. IMO it's the closest you're gonna get.

Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

http://www.food.com/recipe/pao-de-qu...razilian-68293

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...-PUFFS-1266023

They serve it at Fogo de Chao and it's awesome. I avoided it for a long time because I didn't know it was tapioca bread and I just assumed it was wheat. You'd never know it's just tapioca starch.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-04-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast