Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gluten Free Bread (machine) Recipes? page 2

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks guys.

So my bread machine actually has a setting called "Gluten Free" where it doesn't do all of the second rises and what not.

I made a loaf of bread with the rice flour, tapioca starch, potato flour, xantham gum, and some gluten free yeast and it came out as a super delicious, moist loaf of bread.

I have some tweaks I'm gonna make, but I'm going to consider it a success. Once I make another loaf and get the recipe just right I'll post it so that anyone else who can handle some extra starch can give it a try.

I'm not worried about this being a "slippery slope" as my diet is like 90% meat veggies and fruit, and getting my starches purely from tubers and plain rice was making me hate tubers with a passion.

Oh yeah, ChocoTaco, I actually made those for thanksgiving and my family loved them... definitely one of my favorite foods

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    cool, i'm looking forward to the recipe. i need a GF bread recipe for the kid's lunchbox sammiches.
    also, i plan to try this recipe when i get my hands on sorghum and millet flours:
    Delicious Gluten-Free Bread Recipe - dairy-free and rice-free, too

freak is offline Junior Member
    Bump

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Here is the recipe I've been using in my machine:

Flour:
    1 1/2 cups sweet sorghum flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup potato starch
    2 tsp xanthan gum
    1/ 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
    1 packet gluten free rapid yeast

Liquids:
    1 1/4 cups water
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1/2 teaspoon mild rice vinegar
    2 eggs

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Easy product (if you are making gluten free bread) King Arthur flour has gluten free products. When I was eating a lot of wheat and making nearly all of our bread and pizza and rolls etc from scratch I used the King Arthur (wheat) flours. Never had a recipe fail, so I imagine they put the same kind of work into their Gluten free stuff - and if I read the ingredients right it is basically rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch. They even have bread mixes and stuff for the bread machine. I may try it in a few months for my kiddos (they are missing bread right now, I want them to get over it a little so bread is a treat, not a staple). I am lucky enough that they carry it in the normal baking aisle at my favorite grocery store (Wegmans), but you can order online too.

Rebecca M. is offline Junior Member

I'm wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Here is the recipe I've been using in my machine:

Flour:
    1 1/2 cups sweet sorghum flour
    1 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup potato starch
    2 tsp xanthan gum
    1/ 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
    1 packet gluten free rapid yeast

Liquids:
    1 1/4 cups water
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1/2 teaspoon mild rice vinegar
    2 eggs

I'm wondering if you'd by chance know how to do your recipe without a bread machine?
    I gave mine away, not thinking I'd ever be able to make bread (I could stand) again!
    Thanks!

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Just a quick FYI - these starches are worse than wheat for jacking up blood sugar and inducing your body to make small dense LDL cholesterol particles that tend to be more atherosclerotic. Unlike the large fluffy type A LDL.

I'm not cholesterol paranoid, but in this case it's not a scenario I want to have happen. It will cause the type of lipid panel we try to avoid.... And makes docs want to strap us down and force feed statins. ;-). ( over my dead body)
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12