Thread: Weight gain (up protein or fat?) page

gaz4 Guest

Hi,

I am averaging around 100-150g of carbs per day from fruit, veg, quinoa (and sometimes a little oats). I know the last two aren't ''primal'' but it helps with getting my carbs a little higher.

I have lost maybe 3 pounds in the last two weeks or so(I have been eating a lot, including many nuts, seeds etc for high calories.

I'm around 130 pounds, and i'm easily getting 130g of protein + per day. So I wanted to know if I should be upping my protein, or upping my fat intake even more for my weight to go up?

Wasn't sure if upping protein would cause problems if I am already eating a lot.

Thanks

Tarlach is offline Member

Why are you forcing extra carbs from grains?

The only way to add weight from diet is to add body fat. At the moment it sounds like you are aiming for skinny fat and that is not healthy (or a good look).

The healthy way to up your weight is by adding muscle. Do some strength training.

Up your fat for fuel, eat plenty of protein for muscle building and drop the grains.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Ditto. If you feel you absolutely need carbs (maybe for heavy strength training), then up the fibrous carbs (more veggies than fruits). There is little need for grains. TO gain, train, and rebuild with protein, refuel with fat.

gaz4 Guest

Ok thanks. I have been tracking my calories on (dailyplate) and when putting in my details (21 yrs old, about 9st 2, putting on 1 pound of mass a week it gave a estimate of 2600 calories a day.

Yesterday my macros ended up:

2601 calories

160g fat

138g carbs

159g protein.

Graph says that was 55% fat, 20% carbs, 25% protein.

Breakfast was:

4 eggs

4 slices bacon (without the fat)

kiwi

blueberries

Lunch:

Turkey breast

Blueberries

Teaspoon coconut oil

326 calories worth of mixed nuts

Clementine

Dinner:

96% meat sausages

quinoa

mixed seeds

11pm snack:

2 oatcakes

310 calories worth of cashews

Large pear

Hoping for peoples opinions on this? Is that the kind of eating I should stick to apart from the quinoa and oatcakes (and just add more fruit/veg to hit the 100-150g carbs)

So if I am not doing any strength training, going over calories will add fat instead of muscle is that right? I mainly just wanted to make sure I didn't lose any more weight (lost some since going primal two weeks ago or so) and even put some back on.

gaz4 Guest

Just bumping this up a bit, hopefully thats ok =)

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

If you're looking to gain weight in the form of muscle, strength training is crucial. Your protein calories will only rebuild muscles that have been 'worked'.

Also, don't be afraid to increase your fat calories with animal fats - fat is what makes the bacon worth eating! It seems many of your fat calories are from nuts (polyunsaturated). You might try changing it up with pork belly or fatty steak instead of the nuts and turkey breast. You'll feel more satisfied and the fat will provide better fuel than the carbs (and also add the extra calories you're looking for).

gaz4 Guest

I will add in some more animal fats thanks

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Up your strength training intensity, lower your carbs, up your protien and fat...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

+1 on the strength training. You're not going to gain muscle without it. Go forth and lift something heavy!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Danger_Dave is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will jump on the dog pile, you got to really work your body with heavy stuff if you want to add GOOD weight. And I would say you are eating way to many nuts probably not good for your omega ratio, inflammation is a killer... if you have to eat nuts, macadamias are where its at... and one more thing, your body will tell you how much food you should be eating. Never force yourself to eat. Good luck!
    It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.