Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Blood Work Results -- Whoo-HOO! page

KWM
    KWM is offline Member

First Blood Work Results -- Whoo-HOO!

Primal Fuel
    63 y/o female in high-stress job, went Primal 7/11/11. Now 2 - 3 dress sizes smaller, scales show 26# less. About 2/3 toward overall goal. Still have to up the exercise.

Found a Primal Friendly MD and 2 weeks ago had my first checkup since 2007. Just got MD's letter with blood work results. Didn't get the full results -- they're coming soon. Forgot to ask for them. What I did get:

HDL 84
    LDL-C 135
    Triglycerides 71
    Vitamin D 27.4 (upping the supplements a must, I guess)

Quote from Doc: "Cortisol was low. CRP (inflammation) was very low (great!) Your cholesterol overall is excellent. High HDL. The LDL you have is mostly big fluffy kind which is better. This gives a very low insulin resistance score. Keep up the good work."

Couldn't have done it without all you lovely folks at MDA. Hat tip and thanks for renewed enthusiasm and cheery outlook.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Wow - very awesome! Except for that abysmal vitamin D level - get your self a good oil based supplement soon!

I'd love to have your doctor

Scott Ludwig is offline Junior Member
    Hi, very new to the Primal diet but makes total sense to me and I am not hungry, looking a little leaner, all good. Would anyone else that's been Primal for a while and has had blood work done be willing to share any improvements or otherwise with me? I am going to get my blood work done when I have been solidly Primal for 90 days. The last time I had blood work done all of my numbers were excellent. At the time of that test I was following a quote unquote typical bodybuilder diet. I was about 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. I was eating rice, oatmeal, potatoes as my main carb sources, lots of chicken and fish (next to no red meat), lots of whey-based protein powder, and nothing other than incidental fats from my other foods.
    My father's side of the family has an awful heart disease history, so it looked like I was breaking the trend. So, although one would question why fix what wasn't broken, the primal thing makes too much sense to me.
    I guess I am asking if other people have seen bad or good results since going primal.
    Thank you, and Mark if you read this, thanks for a great site, and great information.
    Scott

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Found my doctor through one of MDA's resources, the paleo friendly MD list. Absolutely worth it. He went from vegetarian to paleo. I do have to drive an hour to see him, but heck -- who doesn't love driving the Columbia River Gorge to Hood River?

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Scott ~ cruise this site for just a bit and you'll find BAJILLIONS of blood-work results showing primal improvement. Major motivation.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Nice! Agree that you need to jump on increasing the Vitamin D. Take D3 10,000iu a day and get retested in a couple of months. Presscription Vitamin D megadoses (50,000 iu once a week for 6 weeks) are D2 which are worthless.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    great job! very inspirational!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ludwig View Post
    Hi, very new to the Primal diet but makes total sense to me and I am not hungry, looking a little leaner, all good. Would anyone else that's been Primal for a while and has had blood work done be willing to share any improvements or otherwise with me? I am going to get my blood work done when I have been solidly Primal for 90 days. The last time I had blood work done all of my numbers were excellent. At the time of that test I was following a quote unquote typical bodybuilder diet. I was about 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. I was eating rice, oatmeal, potatoes as my main carb sources, lots of chicken and fish (next to no red meat), lots of whey-based protein powder, and nothing other than incidental fats from my other foods.
    My father's side of the family has an awful heart disease history, so it looked like I was breaking the trend. So, although one would question why fix what wasn't broken, the primal thing makes too much sense to me.
    I guess I am asking if other people have seen bad or good results since going primal.
    Thank you, and Mark if you read this, thanks for a great site, and great information.
    Scott
    I would suggest you skip the calculated cholestrol methods and go right to a VAP test for particle size. Many folks who go Primal/Paleo see their total cholesterol go UP and doctors freak out.

Give this a listen: The Paleo Solution – Episode 75

Dave

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I would suggest you skip the calculated cholestrol methods and go right to a VAP test for particle size. Many folks who go Primal/Paleo see their total cholesterol go UP and doctors freak out.

Give this a listen: The Paleo Solution – Episode 75

Dave
    Or screw cholesterol tests completely, and get an ultrasound of your arteries.

Motorhead is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KWM View Post
    Found my doctor through one of MDA's resources, the paleo friendly MD list. Absolutely worth it. He went from vegetarian to paleo. I do have to drive an hour to see him, but heck -- who doesn't love driving the Columbia River Gorge to Hood River?
    Did not know a list like that existed, thanks, will have to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast