Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downside of PB? page

sbhar is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

This comment from Weekend Link Love got me thinking:

"Yesterday I ate a vending machine blue berry muffin. It pretty much made me ill for about 5 hours, which makes me wonder if I do have glutton sensitivity and the lack of it in my diet has lowered my defenses to it."

I wonder if it makes sense to purposely include little quantities of the forbidden foods to avoid such a reaction? Perhaps a cheat meal is not a cheat but a necessity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridatism

Anyone else out there have similar stories? How do you deal with it? (other than being more vigilant about eating crap).

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

This seems like a really bad idea to me. Purposefully ingesting things that make one sick just so they don't get AS sick when they choose to indulge?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Agree w/ lil_e.

If I decide to incorporate a carb-up "cheat" day it will be done using sweet potatoes, taro (poi), and maybe some fruits.

Why you would reach for manufactured badness is out of my realm of knowledge.

Acmebike is offline Member

Hooo boy, I'll stick with straight up Primal, no "training" for bad foods for me! I understand some Paleo/Primal folks in the services/special ops do indeed train up for crappy food choices, but that is a matter of life or death "in country" for them.

Pankratos Guest

An interesting concept, and as a Classics major I'm pleased to learn something about Mithradates! However, I'll just stay away from the vending machine ... unless its sliding out medium rare slabs of beef

Paneristi is offline Member

Why try and reinvent the wheel ....shheesh !

jpickett1968 Guest

sbhar -

Innocent question perhaps as you may be new to the site, so let's look at it like this: cigarettes are inherently bad and cause cancer. If you smoke one and it makes you cough or get sick, you don't want to take a few puffs so you can build up to a full cigarette. You simply don't smoke.

For us Primal folks, you plan ahead. Try to have a back up food plan with you. In a worse case scenario when there are no good food choices, simply don't eat. Indulge in an intermittent fasting. When your body adapts to eating primal, you learn to go longer without food as the time arises and you don't need to indulge in neolithic choices. Or cigarettes.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I can see the OPs point. If you truly have an ALLERGY then perhaps this isnt the best idea. Having said that I think it has its applications.

Example:

I usually consume small amounts of dairy daily. When I had the (swine) flu I didnt consume ANY for about a week. Then I was craving it so for dinner one night I had a large glass of milk. The next day I was SUPER phlegmy!!! Now this tells me that I probably could cut out the milk to my advantage. But I love me some milk. So, I just keep doing my small amounts and when I do have a glass now and then... no phlegm.

Like I said, I think its really a case by case thing and no blanket statement can be made.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Some people have a circle of friends or family for whom food is very important, and for those people to refuse to partake is way more stress than it's worth.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

your family mostly always loves you and wants whats best for you. it is usually worth the effort and stress to explain how good this lifestyle has been for you (and you only - no preaching necessary) believe me, theyll understand. its not the end of the world.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast