Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Blockers? page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I can't find any way to search the forums and I tried a Google search for this domain, nada. So here goes:

So I"m into this diet/PB thing by a month and all of a sudden I remembered carb blockers. And that I had some from when I was trying Atkins a few years ago. Went to the internet and did my due diligence.

First, the sites that say they don't work, period, were all trying to sell some other miracle pill. Many sites were just repetitions of general knowledge. But I did find a few with actual citations, you know, science, that were very encouraging. I tried to find one or two again for this posting, but could not. Sorry.

It's obvious that in theory, carb blockers will allow us to have our cake and eat it too, most literally. OK, maybe we wouldn't even consider cake, but at least shunt those carbs that are included in some of the "OK" foods we are eating?

Any personal experiences? Other observations?

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i'm not sure it is as simple as deciding that the carb blockers work and will enable us to eat carbs without consequence. i see a low carb diet as more than about the carbs for several reasons.

i don't count my carbs. i allow myself to eat whatever primal fruits and veggies i like, when i like. i figure stuffing my face with sweet potatoes and strawberries is far far better than bagels and pasta so i'm still way ahead of the game. and based on a two week diary on fit day, i generally stay around 100 - 150 g of carbs a day. i'm okay with that.

i have been eating primal for a couple of months now and have managed [for at least 80% of the time] to ditch the sugar, grains, and other baddies. these are what i refer to below as carbs.

- by eating carbs [and i am referring to the baddies like grains, etc] we end up eating less of the really good things like protein, fat, and good carb veggies

- bad carbs like grains, legumes, etc are bad for us for other reasons too like their antinutrient properties. gluten is tough on digestions, etc. i don't think carb blockers will work on these aspects

- and cake is more than just carbs. what if it's made with hydrogenated vegetable shortening? or has added preservatives and artificial colouring?

- if you use carb blockers for your good carbs, like fruits and veggies, i would think they would also block out the good parts of those foods, like the vits and minerals, antioxidants, etc.

in the end, i think using better judgement regarding what we eat is a better solution than using a questionable pill to clean up after us. or getting to thinking that fruits and veggies are bad because they still have some carbs.

just my thoughts.

Sammylou, I think you are off on a non-understanding tangent. Without responding point by point, my question was, "Any personal experience or other observation?" Not "maybe's, what if's."

The active ingredient of the blockers, phaselogus (??)vulgaris stops the amylase enzyme that creates glucose from carbs from forming, at least in lesser quantities. It has absolutely no effect on minerals, vitamins, oils, fructose, nothing but carbs headed to become glucose.

I AM adhering to the weight loss PB very closely. Happy for what you do or don't do. It doesn't hurt to have another tool in the tool box, does it?

I wondered this same thing.

I came across a moment when I ate just a tad too much 'Primal dessert' and just didn't want that glucose to be created and stored. I happened to have an old 'carb-blocker' laying around in my pill case and decided, 'what the hay' and took it, just in case.

Personally, I don't want to rely on them, but I wondered if I could carry some around with me in the instance that I am out to eat and decided to have a '20% moment' ;-)

Obviously, if the carb blockers work, they would be a panacea. Investigating these, they amount of active ingredient can vary almost 2:1, 1000mg to 600mg. So, that's the first caveat.

Then, my bottle says to take two - that seems to be the standard instruction regardless of potentcy - with meals with pasta, etc. Does that mean 2000mg can stop the carb to glucose conversion of a couple of hundred grams of carbs? The Mayo clinic found that it took 4,000 to 6,000 mg AND some wheatgerm extract. Everything seems so vague on this.

I've also noticed that some sources use gel caps with safflower oil (calories, polyunsaturated oil), the others are standard solid junk.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

I got some before Christmas intending to use them on Christmas day. Never did. Still have them sitting in my cupboard. I suppose it could be used whenever you go out and know you will be having more carbs. But then maybe its okay to carb up once in while without the need for carb blockers.

I agree to that Sue, as in a 'refeed'. I just don't want to 'refeed' on junk.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

@onthebayou: didn't mean to go off on a "non-understanding tangent". you asked a question about the possible use of these things and asked for observations. i only offered up what were my thoughts about that in the hopes of sparking further discussion. didn't realize you meant that was limited to just what you wanted to hear.

i am happy to be better informed or corrected on the science but it's too bad you feel you have to discourage me from commenting. i'll certainly be sure to read future posts more carefully and to reserve better judgement regarding what's applicable.

i congratulate you for your ability to adhere to the pb so closely and never meant to infer you didn't. keep up the good work and best of luck to you.

Sammylou: I was asking for observations about carb blockers. Thas' all I was trying to convey to you.

@OnTheBayou: I think that you bring up an excellent post. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add, other than I would like to see an answer to your question as well, (and I am adding a post here to bump this topic up). No, "carb blockers" are not Primal. BUT....I have a very non-primal family, as many of us do. I am not looking for a way to stuff myself with Oreo's and not feel like crap the next day. But it would be nice to go to some of these summer picnics and not have to answer a ton of questions and deal with raised eyebrows. I'll just eat the stupid Smore and know that momma's little helper is assisting me in not digesting these carbs. And while maybe I should "educate" all of these people, sometimes it's just not worth it, and believe it or not, it's also about making some people happy. My mom would be over the moon if I ate a piece of her chocolate cake, instead of being so "self-righteous" as she claims.

Can anyone give us some feedback?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast