Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb Blockers? page 2

Primal Fuel

Conan posted a link on a study about Macadamia nuts and their relation to carb ingestion (we were having the ol' "Do fats get stored when excess carbs are consumed" discussion) and the study found that they greatly reduced the conversion of carbs to glucose...

So, eat Macadamia nuts before your '20%' binge and still be primal? Hmmm....

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I think it was pistachios...

Oooops. I knew I was wrong! Just couldn't put my fingers on it! (I'm really a natural blond, so that's my excuse! ;-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PrimalJewishA: You are a good writer, and thanks for bumping this up! Even w/o having to explain things to folks, it would be great to have "Mother's Little Helper" to shunt those carbs. I really miss oat bran at breakfast, just a little 1/3 cup even. And someday, watch out, I'll just have to have popcorn. At least the butter is organic and primal!

@OnTheBayou - when you can't find an answer, do some research. Shoot me an email at wmurdy@yahoo.com and I will give you the details of my carb blocker experience last night. Not something I want to post on a public forum!

Trinkwasser Guest

I know a few diabetics who use these on an occasional basis when it is socially or otherwise unavoidable to eat excess carbs.

Hint: if the carbs don't get digested they have to go somewhere, usually down the toilet rather quickly (they feed the bacteria in your bowel quite effectively) so IMO best kept as an occasional cheat.

I have minimal to zero Phase 1 insulin but quite strong Phase 2: a trick that works for me (and the people I learned it from, but not everyone) is to have a small portion of fast carbs about half an hour before eating (mother has things called Amaretti made of apricot pits and obscene amounts of glucose, but they are tiny). This emulates an insulin spike by the time the meal arrives, then a *fast* walk immediately after eating when the insulin output is highest serves to consume the excess glucose. Ideal for eating out, Christmas and visiting aunts, but not to be done on a regular basis.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Trinkwasser (what is "Trink" water, BTW?)good observations. How much blocker in mg do you find useful for maybe how many grams of carbs?

The trick you mention is the old candy industry canard about how candy can help you lose weight. Yes, eat a bit of fast glucose 1/2 hour to 20 minutes ahead of a meal and you are less likely to eat to satiation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12