Thread: tired after 4pm page

MPM
    MPM is offline Junior Member

tired after 4pm

Shop Now
    Been primal for almost 4 months with FANTASTIC results. In the last week or so, I've begun to get very tired after 4pm or so. I've been eating a small protein based breaksfast and lunch. Then a nice well rounded primal dinner.

Any thoughts on supplements? B12 maybe?

Thanks!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    How's your sleep? How much food do you eat?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    food and vitamins likely play a big part in this, but it could just be a seasonal thing too. it's getting dark earlier, and colder, and that makes me sleepy regardless of how i sleep at night. eating plenty of kick-ass food helps keep that energy up, as does sleeping well, but here are the things that i find keeping me as pepped as possible through the afternoon:
    fasting--it's amazing how much not eating can keep you going strong
    afternoon exercise--a 5-10 minute walk in the fresh air or a few trips up and down some stairs will give you a boost
    standing work station--i simply don't get tired days when i stay standing at work
    brain exercise--crosswords, sudoku, a poorly executed drawing...just a little switch from your daily routine is good for your brain

try a few different things, and see what works for you.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D.
    Sunshine.

I don't know where in the world you are, but a quick walk outside in some sunlight will do you a world of good. The vitamin D is because it's good for you and you probably aren't getting enough.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating liver, bone marrow, other offal, bone stocks, oysters, kelp, or brazil nuts?

Each of these foods contains nutrients that are difficult to get if you only eat a muscle meat and veggie diet. For me lliver, bone marrow, and stocks are really important for energy.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Are you eating liver, bone marrow, other offal, bone stocks, oysters, kelp, or brazil nuts?

Each of these foods contains nutrients that are difficult to get if you only eat a muscle meat and veggie diet. For me lliver, bone marrow, and stocks are really important for energy.
    Interesting. I've been feeling tired too but I think that's mostly cus I'm getting up earlier to train. I need to eat more of those foods though. I mostly have liver but maybe I'm cooking it too much. I only go medium rare but maybe closer to rare is best. Marrow, stocks, oysters, kelp AND brazil nuts I practically never eat. I should make that a challenge for December, to try them all...

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Interesting. I've been feeling tired too but I think that's mostly cus I'm getting up earlier to train. I need to eat more of those foods though. I mostly have liver but maybe I'm cooking it too much. I only go medium rare but maybe closer to rare is best. Marrow, stocks, oysters, kelp AND brazil nuts I practically never eat. I should make that a challenge for December, to try them all...
    I started feeling fatigued a month ago, and I overcame it by adding more carbs to my diet (berries, 1/2 banana). I also introduced bone broths and liver as liverwurst, and since doing this the fatigue/tired/flat feeling is gone. I also have 1-2 brazil nuts a couple of days a week. Generally my energy-levels are awesome, but it is a PB-myth that fat alone will fix everything. Going very low-carb past 4-5 months would make anyone feel less than great.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Sure, try a b-complex supplement. I second the vitamin D suggestion. If I take it at night it interrupts my sleep.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I like that idea a lot. I never manage to get the oysters or kelp and have been slacking on the marrow lately since Marrow bone prices tripled at Whole Foods. I take a dessicated liver supplement, but I'm not convinced it is a good as the real thing. I think I will try to get all of those foods once per week for all of December and see how I feel