Thread: Time for introductions page

Cool Time for introductions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Howdy folks,

Name's Aaron. Most people call me Puffin or BarefootPuffin. I'm new to the primal lifestyle, and I plan on slowly switching from CW dieting to the primal blueprint diet. The reason that I'm opting for a gradual change is not because I am not able to go cold turkey from a will standpoint. I'm opting for a gradual change because I underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2009. Since then I've dropped about 85 pounds. Most of this was fat, however, some of it was muscle, and I believe that muscle can be regained by following the primal diet. Obviously, with the gastric bypass, I will have to learn what I can and can't eat over time. Hence the slow change to the diet side of the lifestyle.

Anywho,
    I'm 24 years old, married to my wonderful wife, and we are expecting our first child in May. I'm a barefoot runner, and I maintain my own blog at Barefoot Puffin. The focus of my blog is on the challenges and perspectives of minimalist/barefoot running from an overweight person's perspective. I also review minimalist shoes from time to time. I wish I could jump headfirst into this new lifestyle, but the last thing I want to do is radically change everything I eat and have some sort of complication with my bypass. Keep in mind that I'm not expecting any complications. I just want to air on the side of caution. I've already cut out sugary drinks, grains, and most processed foods. I still stick to whey protein shakes in the morning, and I'm slowly swapping to a more protein dense food list. From my own experiences I have a hard time with tough red meats. This is mostly a problem in the cooking/slicing process, but I'm working on incoroporating more into my diet. I do wonderfully with fish and chicken though so that's always good.

I look forward to getting to know you guys/gals/Groks.

Puffin

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Aaron! If you have trouble with meats, I suggest using a slow cooker. I made a barbecue pork shoulder yesterday. After 10 hours of slow cooking it just fell apart into wonderful tasty bits. As for transitioning slowly, I discovered that I could get 90% of the benefits by eliminating grains and high fructose corn syrup. ("Grains" = anything containing grain ingredients). WHEAT elimination is the number one good thing I did for myself (almost completely eliminated my 30-year asthma problems).

Good luck!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Thanks for the response. Yah, I figured I'd remove the most harmful stuff first, then weed out other things one by one.