Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: parkinson's disease page 2

abexman is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Also of note from Dr. Wahl's site, a comment from March 2012:
    Please share how adopting the Wahls Diet

We have been following The Wahls Protocol for 6 weeks. My husband (57 yrs old) has been exhibiting Parkinson's symptoms and has been seeing a neurologist since July, 2011.

In just 6 weeks his PD symptoms show significant reversal. The most dramatic is the restoration of his balance and the return of his normal walking gait. Also affected: asthma gone in one week, blood pressure normal, speech clear, normal sleep patterns, more energy, consistently brighter mood. He has been an exercise enthusiast since age 21, which has certainly been a factor in his enduring strength and quick recovery. His right side is regaining strength, becoming more balanced each day.

We started to re-introduce foods at 5 weeks on the 4-day rotation and found that sweet potatoes work fine but dairy showed up within hours- general digestive upset, headache, slurred speech and nasal/throat congestion/drip. Amazing! We will continue with grain free, legume free, dairy free, 12 cups of vegetables, etc, until all symptoms are gone before we add anything.

Thank you, Dr. Wahls, this is very exciting!

Dorothy West

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    strange timing for me, check out Peter's Hyperlipid blog today-- re. parkinsons and diet.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Not nutritional advice, but you should check out LDN, low dose naltrexone.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    Not nutritional advice, but you should check out LDN, low dose naltrexone.
    Can you elaborate MorganpMiller?

Just google LDN, you will find all you need to know. It antagonizes opiod receptors for 3 to 6 hours, causing the body to then respond by producing endorphins, met-enkephalin and beta-endorphin. Met-enkephalin plays a major role in regulating the immune system. The hope is to get the immune system funtioning better to reduce inflammation, which will also hopefully improve brain function. It is believed there is an autoimmune component to parkinson's. Read about it and you will find many people have had success with LDN. You will also learn in greater detail why LDN works for so many, and so many different conditions.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Scary stuff. A friend of mine's father was recently diagnosed with ALS. Talk about feeling helpless, well, I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Scary stuff. A friend of mine's father was recently diagnosed with ALS. Talk about feeling helpless, well, I know the feeling.
    He should also get on LDN!!! There is absolutely nothing to lose! LDN may be good for ALS. Lithium might also help Lithium in the right amount is good for all of us

My 80 y/o mother who has Parkinsons had some blood work done some months ago that showed she was also pre-diabetic according to the A1c Test (5.7%) and sensitivity to sugar from a GTT Test Result. Her glucose levels do seem high too. At the time the low-carb doctor she was seeking told her to make some dietary changes, basically following a paleo/primal diet and avoiding sweets. He also showed her results of an Allergies Blood Test (IgE) and noted some additional foods to avoid and treat with Sublingual Immunotherapy. He also gave her some additional supplements, and upped her daily synthroid dosage she was taking for thyroid to optimize those TSH levels. He did not change her Levodopa dosage. He also discounted that CoQ10 would effect Syntrhoid. He said some of his patients have anecdotal results with Glutathione though he left it to us to decide on that, which we have not tried.

Anyway since she has been following these recommendations, perhaps coincidentally she has had extremely low energy levels. She has also lost about 10 lbs, which is significant for her 120lbs weight. The doctor suspects the energy levels may be tied to allergies (which are very strong this year in our area due to a mild winter). It may also be an increased symptom from her Parkinsons. She also has lots of problems sleeping, which again may be a PD symptom. Maybe this (lower energy) also goes hand in hand with weight loss at least temporarily?

Most recently her other (CW) doctor was alarmed at her weight loss and told her to eat more sugar to put on weight, particularly by drinking more Ensure. This is all very confusing for my mother of course. She is trying to walk a middle line. She maybe eats one piece of bread a day, some eggs frequently, fruit and a little meat and veg. She is not eating much so this may contribute to low energy, as she is usually too low energy to prep food. Was ordering from a local crossfit food delivery but their menu does not offer many choices, they are hard to order from and a bit pricey for quantity.

Would appreciate any advice/thoughts.
    Last edited by abexman; 06-13-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Well I was reading through this book on PD and now I'm confused. It says that too much protein in a diet can interfere with levodopa uptake (the main PD medicine my mom is on). It talks about eating 7 parts carbs to 1 protein. Presumably this does not necessarily mean "grains" but still, this is the first I had seen this discussed.

Amazon.com: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Parkinson's Disease: A Holistic Program for Optimal Wellness (9780446678902): Jill Marjama-Lyons, Mary J. Shomon: Books

Here's the pages:
    IMAG0117.jpgIMAG0116.jpg

Here's the book recommended:
    http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Well-Stay-...well+stay+well

Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease is designed for people with Parkinson's, caregivers, and health professionals. Written by a registered dietitian who specializes in the nutrition needs unique to Parkinson's, this book features large type, lie-flat binding, and spaces for notes. Also included are recipes and menus designed to provide a 7:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein, for better absorption of levodopa (Sinemet).
    Information includes: Timing of medications and dealing with nausea Controlling constipation safely, preventing bowel impaction Fluid needs and dehydration Parkinson's and bone health B vitamin needs, B6 and levodopa Dealing with heartburn / reflux / ulcers / hiatal hernia Why unplanned weight loss can be a problem Chewing & swallowing difficulties Protein and levodopa Menus and recipes in the 7:1 ratio
    An excerpt from the book:
    Get at least six servings of complex carbohydrates
    daily. This means whole-grain cereals, bread, pasta, rice,
    bagels, crackers or English muffins. Use butter and
    margarine sparingly, as well as fatty sauces and spreads.
    Eat moderate portions of protein--two to three servings
    a day. Too much protein increases alertness rather promoting
    relaxation and calmness. Try to make at least one protein
    serving cooked dried beans, soy products, nuts, or an egg --
    these contain lecithin, which can improve mental state, and
    memory. (In “Menus--7:1 ratio” and “Recipes” you’ll find
    snacks, meals, and recipes that use some of these foods.)
    I should add I have an electronic copy of this book that I'd be happy to share with someone to get their expert opinion.
    Last edited by abexman; 07-10-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast