Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cookware page

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Wondering what everyone is using as far as cookware goes...

I use pyrex glass for my storage, and eating... But now I want to switch the pans over to cast iron... Have a feeling this might be a problem seeing as most of us get plenty of Iron following a primal eating pattern.

Anyone use cast iron and not have problems with iron? Or the opposite

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Namasteak is offline Senior Member

We have 1 large cast iron skillet we use for cooking meat, 2 enamel coated cast iron casserole dishes, and use stainless steal cookware for everything else. Its taken awhile for us to get a good cure on the cast iron, but totally worth it!

samazon Guest

I also have a cast iron skillet for meat, as well as copper-bottom frying pans for other stuff. I received a set of specialty Le Creuset cookware as a wedding gift, which I love: a saucepan, a dutch oven and a grill pan.

Jefferson is offline Member

Le Creuset is beautiful, excellent stuff. But you're definitely going to pay for it! A single pot or pan can cost several hundred dollars. That was quite a gift you got, samazon!

Lodge also makes some enameled cast iron that's much cheaper and probably works just as well. I've also seen some enameled stuff made by that Paule Dean lady for sale at Wal-Mart. It looks nice, but who knows what the quality is like.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Yeah I found a lodge set I want, im just worried about the leaching iron from cast iron...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I like Le Creuset as well. I ask for pieces for birthday or Christmas gifts from my husband. He said last night that it's not like they will wear out in 2 years so he doesn't mind putting out the money. I have the frying pan, covered enameled saute pan, and the teapot. They should last a lifetime and they cook wonderfully. I may have to put them in my will

Greg B is offline Junior Member

For cast iron on the cheap you can look at garage sales or on ebay for used pieces. So long as it's not warped and there's no pitting in the pan, it is usable.

There are several options for cleaning and recovering used pieces. If it's not too bad, warm soapy water and steel wool are fine. If there's significant buildup you'll have to soak in lye or put it in an oven with a self cleaning cycle. Then scrub clean. You'll need to scrub off all rust with sandpaper, steel wool, or a wire brush.

Once it's cleaned down to bare metal, you can season.

Seasoning is fairly easy, but can be time consuming. You'll need to pick a fat source to use. I like bacon grease, but any fat you'd cook with can be used. Coat the entire piece in a thin layer of the fat of your choice. Place it in the oven upside down at 250-350F with a pan or tin foil to catch drippings. Cook for at least an hour and a half. Repeat this until you have a shiny black sheen all over the piece. This coating is nonstick and helps with rustproofing.

To clean, wipe out with a dry paper towel. If you have any food residue sticking on, you can use some coarse salt with your paper towel. If it still doesn't work, wash under the hottest running water you can. Don't scrub with anything abrasive. If it still won't come off let it soak in warm water for up to an hour and it should come off. Always dry thoroughly, both wiping and placing in a warm oven or on the stovetop to make sure all the water is gone.

I personally don't like the enameled cast iron except for a dutch oven. The seasoning process is a bit time consuming, but worth it.

Iron leaching is minimal if you avoid acidic foods.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lbd View Post
    I like Le Creuset as well. I ask for pieces for birthday or Christmas gifts from my husband. He said last night that it's not like they will wear out in 2 years so he doesn't mind putting out the money. I have the frying pan, covered enameled saute pan, and the teapot. They should last a lifetime and they cook wonderfully. I may have to put them in my will
    I'm looking for a cast iron dutch oven and I came across some Le Creuset dutch ovens yesterday. The sales lady there said they were worth the extra cost because they were more durable and lasted longer. I'm still not totally convinced they are worth it however.

What's the difference between having enamel and no enamel? Is it just prettier looking?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    cast iron for everything, glass if i use the oven but usually throw the cast iron in there if i need finishing too

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I only cook in cast iron. I have a couple of enameled pieces- a pot and dutch oven, but the rest is bare cast and I absolutely love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast