Thread: Spend an hour with Gary Taubes page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

OK, 72 minutes, not 60. OK, video, not live. BUT....I watched this last night and it was a real eye opener. I've been hearing and reading of him and his book, and one thing almost everyone agrees on it is that it is a slog to get through. So here it is, Taubes for (Not Quite)Dummies.

If this has been posted before, sorry. I don't see any search function for the forums, only Mark's blogs.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4362041487661765149

There were a lot of interesting points, but maybe the most was that researchers who discovered the insulin-fat link in the fifties and sixties, when asked about restricting carbs to lose weight, always responded that it's calories in, calories out. As Taubes said, they were so immersed in the Common Wisdom that they couldn't see what they were offering!

He mentions a book that I recall, Calories Don't Count. Sort of a pre-Atkins guide. I remember the title, but had no reason to read it. About 17, six foot three, 135 pounds. Sigh.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I will watch that after I water the garden.

Also, if you're in the forums and type something into the regular search field, it will search the forum instead of the blog. Try it; you'll like it!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Also, if you're in the forums and type something into the regular search field, it will search the forum instead of the blog."

Thanks! I guess everything I've search for so far has only popped up in the blogs! Good to know.

toban is offline Junior Member

Mark linked to this in one of the recent 'Weekend Link Love' posts. It is excellent, I highly recommend Taubes' work. I've read a few of his articles since and will soon be reading his book.

He's ushering in a whole new paradigm in the nutrition science world—and smashing to bits the old low-fat myth. Really phenomenal work.