Thread: Will adding a fiber supplement stall my weight loss? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

After eliminating nearly all carbohydrate from my diet I've finally started losing weight as quickly as I expected to, which is awesome, but my stomach's not quite liking the changes I've made. I used to be very REGULAR but now I'm only going once every couple of days and even then it's mostly liquid.

I've added a fiber supplement in the past and it helped a lot but I'm a bit paranoid about changing anything up right now. I want to keep this weight loss ball rolling.

Will adding a fiber supplement have any effect on my weight loss rate?

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Mr B Guest

no

trypleight is offline Junior Member

No, but why supplement? Nuts and veggies will have more than enough fiber. Remember too, fiber is a double edged sword. Too much will induce constipation.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Yes and no. When you start a VLC diet, there is "no" fiber in it. The fiber that was in your chute gets discharged along with all the water that it was holding onto. Think tiny sponges. This is the primary reason people lose so much weight in the first week of a VLC diet. It ain't fat disappearing.

So the reverse of the above happens. Eat fiber and you will retain water again.

But neither effect fat loss. It only moves your weight up or down.

When you suddenly realized that 3 blaster BM's is NOT normal, you understood the role of fiber. I, too, used to be like that. Now, usually once a day, not blaster. If I really, really cut the carbs and attendant fiber, it will be every other day, typically.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

@ otb: I'm fragile, psychologically, when it comes to weight loss. I need to see that scale continuously dropping for me to stick with it, at least at first, and this is the result of many failed attempts at losing weight. Even if it's water I'm retaining it'll throw me off, at least in the beginning, so I'll avoid the fiber supplementation for now.

@ trypleight: I'm really only eating beef, pork, seafood, poultry, eggs, and dairy right now, no vege's and no fruit. I'll adopt a more well-rounded paleo diet once I've dropped below 300 lbs.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.