Thread: Almond Milk Questions: RE: cooking with said milk page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Almond Milk Questions: RE: cooking with said milk

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have experience in cooking with almond milk>>> I cannot do milk in any shape or form.

Can you make mashed potatoes?

Can you use it in place of milk in baked goods?

Etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    ever try coconut milk? it's a bit better than most of the almond milk they sell in stores. are you cool with butter?

I like coconut milk, don't get me wrong, but it is just unacceptable to have mashed potatoes taste like coconut, in my opinion And my son HATES coconutty flavor (which sucks nutrient wise) so when I bake I prefer to use something milder so he will actually eat it. So long story short, no coconut milk will just not suffice.

Yes, I can do butter! Just not milk or cheese, or pretty much anything else dairy....

I am open to new ideas though! Anyone else have a mild tasting alternative to almond milk that works well?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    Does anyone have experience in cooking with almond milk>>> I cannot do milk in any shape or form.

Can you make mashed potatoes?

Can you use it in place of milk in baked goods?

Etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    yes, and yes! i've done both when i was a veghead and recipes turned out great. just make sure you don't use sweetened milk for your potatoes
    i've made gluten free baked goods with almond milk, should work the same for paleo goods. just havent tried it.

you can make milk out of any nut, really usually it's one part nuts to 3-4 parts water, blend and strain. milk!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Have you tried raw milk? I don't know if you have access to a local farm or somewhere that might have raw milk, but it doesn't produce allergic reactions in a lot of people who are generally allergic to milk.

Just be wary of the sugar content of whatever your substitute is. My sister uses almond milk in a lot of her baking because she's vegan and it works fine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

loligoss is offline Senior Member
    I make my own almond milk and sweeten it with chopped up dates if sharing with others. If just for me I will just put in the almonds, water and vanilla stick or paste. Then the almond pulp gets used as well....

Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    yes, and yes! i've done both when i was a veghead and recipes turned out great. just make sure you don't use sweetened milk for your potatoes
    i've made gluten free baked goods with almond milk, should work the same for paleo goods. just havent tried it.

you can make milk out of any nut, really usually it's one part nuts to 3-4 parts water, blend and strain. milk!
    Oh my gosh! You can make macadamia milk??? I have got to try some. I don't currently make my own nut milks.

Quote Originally Posted by loligoss View Post
    I make my own almond milk and sweeten it with chopped up dates if sharing with others. If just for me I will just put in the almonds, water and vanilla stick or paste. Then the almond pulp gets used as well....
    Could you give me your recipie? I don't know the ratios, have never made my "own" almond/nut milk! Thanks!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    Oh my gosh! You can make macadamia milk??? I have got to try some. I don't currently make my own nut milks.
    It's sooo good! I've made it before, but can't really do it anymore as my hunny is allergic.

enjoy!!