Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this net carb business? page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

So this seems like a relatively simple Q. I was reading how "net cabs" were always just a marketing tactic.

If I am eating an avocado (anything really) and the carbs are 15g but the fiber is 14g... then I have 1g of net carbs.

SO do I count the 15g (total) or the 1g (net) toward my carb count for the day? Do all 15g go toward carb metabolism and an insulin spike or just the 1g. I am trying to stay below 50g for the day and need to know what the heck counts!

Oh and what counts when you start adding sugar alcohols too? I dont really eat those but I have before when I needed something sweet but not truly sugary.

Thanks all you awesome PBers.

Tara

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

If you're following Mark's carbohydrate curve, lump 'em both in together. He includes fiber in his carbohydrate recommendations.

What about what actually gets metabolized/causes an insulin spike?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Oops, sorry, missed that first part. No, soluble and insoluble fiber will not contribute to blood glucose elevation. Nor will they keep you out of ketosis. (Tho' perhaps if you eat huge amount of fiber you'll end up with a glucagon response that'll keep you out of ketosis. Not sure about that though...)

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Interesting - maybe I should indulge in some avocados from time to time. Had no idea they had that much fiber...?

Oh, and, your profile pic cracks me up everytime Tara.

I'm pretty sure a whole avocado has only 1 or 2 grams of fiber. ;-)

Pikaia: Thanks! So Im going to go with "dont fret about the fiber... it mostly doesnt count anyway"

Mr.M: Yeah they are really 75% fiber I just checked. I was going of memory for my post. Also... my pic is one thing in the thumbnail (me just being silly) and then when you go to my profile its me w/ a moustache (moustachio as some called me). I dont know why they are different. But yeah, Im silly.

Pika

That's what I thought, too. I just looked up nutritional values on a couple sites and they show avocados as being primarily fiber (for the carb calories).

caloriecount.about.com/calories-avocados-i9037?size=4

Tara -

Haha, the great part is the name fits the picture PERFECTLY.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Haha I suppose! I should do a new one soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast