Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success in small places... page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Success in small places...

Primal Fuel
    Well, I made it! One month primal. Hurrah!

I wasn't sure I'd make it at the beginning - while feeling the effects or carb flu, and desperately craving a packet of crisps or some ice-cream. But I did. And I'm SO glad I stuck it out.

For anyone struggling at staying primal, all I can say is keep trying. If you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up about it... just get right back on it tomorrow... the cravings WILL go away.

I am amazed that I can sit and watch my husband scarf down a cheesecake, eat a plateful of pasta and cheese, or indulge in many of his other food vices, and I am not in the slightest bit envious. I don't crave carbs, and more importantly I don't WANT them. What a turn around from a month ago!!!

Upping my salt intake, increasing fat were the things that helped me through the carb flu. Because of the increased fat, my weight loss has been minimal around my belly and boobs - where I want to loose weight -but I'm not getting too hung up on it. It's my first month after all! I'm just happy to loose the weight slowly, knowing I'm achieving good health and now being a fat burner, instead of a sugar burner. I will work on my correct rations (fat-protein-carbs) for weightloss, during my upcoming months.

The most noticeable things in the change of my body shape are: My face is thinner, my shoulders feel less flabby and more toned, and my forearms have become sleek and muscular (exactly the same as when I was doing a huge amount of boxing at the gym!)

But by far, the biggest changes have been in my energy levels, my mood, and my general feelings of wellbeing. No more dark hours brooding on the hopelessness of life. No more negative feelings. On a spiritual level I feel far happier and lighter than I have in years. It's amazing that I can feel this good. I feel like I'm burning a cleaner energy. I can wake up early in the mornings and get up... no more fatigue and 'can't be bothered'. I've been spending more time in the sun (20-30 mins a day) whereas previously I'd been avoiding it altogether. And, I've been drinking a tonne of water. Again, before I was always dehydrated. these are not changes that I've particularly sought, they have just come naturally... Now that I don't drink soda or fruit juice, even tea or coffee, I just naturally pick up a bottle of water. it's amazing! I never thought I'd give up my fruit juice and diet coke!!! I am finding that I also want to spend less and less time in front of my computer. I often find myself wanting to get up and move, to walk, to be outside in the sun! So many changes!

I haven't been overly active, I must confess. Taking it easy during my first month transisiton was far more important. So, I focused on getting massages and having saunas, using homemade beauty products like hair conditioner and facepacks, to make myself feel good. My second month is going to include a workout routine, including crossfit and walking. I now have the energy and the enthusiasm to do so.

I am loving the primal eating, experimenting with different ingredients, and eating things I'd previously been 'scared of'. Butter, lard, olive oil. GREENS! I rendered my first lard, bought my first chicken feet, discovered a source for fresh coconut milk (no more tins and cartons, or hidden sugars), put EGG SHELLS into BONE broth (seriously would never have considered this over a month ago) and am totally enjoying planning, sourcing and cooking my own food. (Whereas I was so lazy before, and lacking energy, I just ate out all the time.)

So, that's where I'm at.

I'm going to be upping the ante during this next 'second' month in terms of exercise and focussing more on the weight loss.

Onward and upward!

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're doing wonderfully on this new lifestyle! Like you, I don't crave non-primal foods anymore. Because....there are plenty of things that I can eat that taste (and make me feel) so much BETTER! Where did you find a source for fresh coconut milk?

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! I found the same things to be true. The emotional well being is SO INCREDIBLY worth this eating change.... it's truly amazing. I was not very active after the first month...figured that just making this primal change was change enough... I've just started adding in the primal essential movements... I am very much of a weakling... but it is a journey and things will change and I will get stronger the more I stick with it.

So glad you've found Primal... I'm glad I found Primal too! This is my 2nd month in.... Best - Shanster
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    Where did you find a source for fresh coconut milk?
    I'm very lucky to live in Thailand... about 5 minutes from my house is a market with a stall that sells freshly grated coconut / milk. This video probably shows better than I can describe. Here's how he makes it:

Coconut Milk Extracting Machine COM50 - YouTube

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Thailand! So that's why...the cans we buy at the store contain milk from Thai coconuts.

2nd month in now...

I've still not seen much weight loss, despite being very strict with my diet, and having started to exercise a lot more. Hiking, walking, crossfit. As apposed to zero exercise in month one. It has made me realize how much I enjoy moving, and how good I feel because of it. So, with new vibrams, and a new exercise plan, I am still feeling great.

I've consumed less fat this month. It was a natural instinct, as opposed to a conscious choice, and I was curious just to see if it aided in the weight loss, which it hasn't really. I've lost weight off my stomach, as my belly protrudes less. But, before and after pics are pretty much the same. I'd say overall weight has been lost, but it's slow and steady, as opposed to the dramatic overnight results that others have experienced.

My wounds seem slow to heal, which might suggest a vitamin C deficiency. Because of that, next month, I am going to start adding in more (starch) rice, and potatoes, as mentioned in the 'Perfect Health Diet'. Not too many, but just enough to see if it works for me.

I am also keeping my eye on 3 lumps I have. One, a small mole on my face, I've had it for years. The second, also longstanding lump, is in my breast (got the all clear on it years ago). Third is a lipoma on my back. I'm keen to see if they disappear, as I feel sure that they have gotten smaller.

Energy still high. Mornings still no problem. No fuzziness and cloudy thinking. Amazing!

New foods I've tried are Duck's liver, escorgot, mackerel, different kinds of greens and salad leaves, and today avocado and tuna mashed together. Delicious!

Month three is going to be much of the same. (My new year's resolution, LOL) and also:

to try and eliminate eating out as much (as I can't control which oils the food is cooked in).
    Plus, I want to begin playing with intermittent fasting.
    I have some probiotics arriving in the new year, so I'm going to try a protocol to reestablish friendly-gut bacteria.

All good! And Merry Christmas.

something4me is offline Member
    Sounds like you are doing great. Please continue to post updates. I just finished my third week.

3 Months Update.

Weight loss has continued to be very slow but very steady. I've lost 5 kg since I began. I certainly feel 'lighter' and photos are now starting to show some difference. I've had to take a couple of tops in, and my jeans appear baggy (brand new jeans! LOL)

I added in a few more starches this last month, namely rice and potatoes, because wounds weren't healing as quickly. And an almost 3 xs a week treat of a very 'clean' ice cream (in that it only has 5 ingredients - even though one of those is SUGAR!) Not happy about it, and think I will have to cut back next month because, as a result, I've found that my energy hasn't been as clean as it was the last two previous months. Mornings sometimes a little lazy about getting up, and eyes fuzzy and unfocused. I still feel good though.

I just had the lightest 'monthly' yet also THE MOST PAINFUL! I woke up in absolute agony with cramps. A couple of paracetamol helped.

I'm still waiting on my delivery of pro-biotics. So I haven't started that yet. I am taking the occasional multi-vitamin, fermented CLO, and have now started magnesium. (I sometimes also take a vit-c tab, and some pink Himalayan salt). But, because I have been feeling SO healthy, I sometimes forget to take anything for days.

I have been trying to cut down on the amount of chlorine and flouride I might be consuming too, so herbal teas at home, and mineral water when out, are my drinks of choice.

New foods I've tried include: octopus, oyster, wild boar and ostrich. And my home grown lettuce.

Exercise and sunlight, play and relaxation, creativity and laughter make for the perfect primal blueprint.
    Last edited by thaijinx; 01-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great! Cramping with the monthly tells me you're O6-O3 ratio might be out of whack. Try taking a really high dose of wild salmon oil for the next 8-10 weeks. I did, I think I was up to 9 grams daily. Now I'm down to 2 gr daily, which is a good maintenance-level.

Thanks for the advice Glamorama. I will try that.

I've been a bit slack these last few weeks with taking my CLO. I shall try and get back into the habit of daily supplements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast