Thread: For the Australians here...... page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

For the Australians here......

Primal Fuel
    So what the heck is "Copha"? I'm a US expat, and Aussie husband doesn't cook and doesn't have a clue what it is. I see it in no-bake sweet recipes, and reading some archived coconut posts spurred me to ask.
    Thanks for imparting your knowledge!
    Shelli

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Copha is hydrogenated coconut-oil, don't use it, its BAD for you. I'm sure you could replace it with virgin coconut oil though.

Ah! Thanks! I was correct then in thinking it was something along the lines of "Crisco" which is hydrogenated vegetable oil.

AnaBee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    So what the heck is "Copha"? I'm a US expat, and Aussie husband doesn't cook and doesn't have a clue what it is. I see it in no-bake sweet recipes, and reading some archived coconut posts spurred me to ask.
    Thanks for imparting your knowledge!
    Shelli
    In my experience it's only ever used to make chocolate crackles*, a staple at kids birthday parties. I had one about ten years ago, the first time in about 15 years. Gave me a brutal headache. I couldn't believe I'd happy scoffed dozens of chocolate crackles as a child. Copha is evil. I'm surprised it's still around.

*rice bubbles, icing sugar, cocoa, melted copha, spooned into cupcake patty liner things, cooled in fridge. Ugh.

Three Christmases ago I bought a block because one of my kids wanted to make homemade Cherry Ripe for her grandparents as a gift. We used all of a TBS and the rest went in the trash, which is probably good. If she wants to make that again this year, we'll just throw in some coconut oil.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Yeah but chocolate crackles look great. Dark glossy chocolate/coconut goodness. Delicious! Much better then the UK/Irish version of melted milk chocolate, yuk the mouth feel was all wrong.

Back in Melbourne for Christmas, I wonder if I could put together a bad primal version of coconut oil and lindt dark chocolate. I need to find a rice thread to convince myself that rice bubbles are neutral. Surely paleo baking at its worst!
    Life. Be in it.

Claraflo is offline Member
    Copha is used in a lot of recipes because the hydrogenation gives it a higher melting point than coconut oil. So even on a hot day at room temp your food is still good. Just try using liquid coconut oil in chocolate crackles...Lol! The fix of course is to substitute cacao nut butter for copha or to refrigerate your chocolate crackles. But seriously why are we eating chocolate crackles on a paleo diet?