Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal/ Paleo Research and Pregnancy page

LavenderLabor is offline Junior Member

Primal/ Paleo Research and Pregnancy

Hi! I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction- I eat primal (paleo, really, with no diary) and as a student midwife I intend to point my clients towards eating this way during their pregnancies. I am still a student, however, and am having to take a nutrition class at this point.... I'm having a difficult time separating the truth from the fiction of "traditional" nutrition (like the food pyramid) that is being taught. I also have to write several research papers on nutrition and specifically how it effects pregnancy... is there any current research out there with the paleo or primal diets and pregnancy, or other articles that I can specifically reference? I'd like to introduce the other midwives and medical personnel to this way of eating but I need hard facts...

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Do you own a copy of the Primal Blueprint? I seem to recall plenty of references in there. Wheat Belly is a bit over the top in my opinion, but it also has TONS of references to supporting studies.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser's blog has some info... you should google it & check it out.

LavenderLabor is offline Junior Member
    I do own the primal blueprint... I remember the framingham study, but I didn't know if there was anything new or specific to pregnancy... maybe I just need to dig around. I'll definitely check the blog out!

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member

MamaThom is offline Junior Member
    I have only heard, anecdotally, the danger of extreme low carb diet during pregnancy. Encouraging non-grain based carbs may be appropriate, but at least in animal studies (human studies would be immoral and certainly no woman would volunteer to experiment on her fetus give the risks), ketosis is thought to cause irreversible brain damage and mental retardation. Unfortunately, there are no studies to definitively prove or disprove this, so a "middle road" approach seems sensible for most women.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Don't push your religious diet on others. It is off putting. How would you feel if your midwife pushed a vegetarian diet on you?

cyberaly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Don't push your religious diet on others. It is off putting. How would you feel if your midwife pushed a vegetarian diet on you?
    hahaha... you've never been pregnant before, perhaps? The number one favorite thing to do to pregnant women is push personal beliefs down their throat with little to no scientific evidence to back it up. From the potentially useful (don't smoke cigarettes, limit alcohol consumption) to the truly bizarre (don't take a bath, don't eat sandwiches.)

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I was also going to recommend Weston A. Price.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Argh Primal is not a KETO diet! It CAN be if you MAKE it that way. It can also be a fairly moderate carb diet. Sorry all I know of is tons of anecodotal evidence/blogs.
    Hawaiian libertarian: Paleo Baby
    The Paleo Baby
    The Primal Parent | Primal parenting our paleo kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast