Thread: Indian Sweet Tea or Chai page

Adventure_Becons is offline Junior Member

Indian Sweet Tea or Chai

Hello Prim Peeps,
    Can you guys give some insights into my consumption pattern of this Indian beverage? I'm in India where this beverage is pretty common. And I consume twice or sometimes three times a day.

My morning break fast is 3 Duck Egg Omlets + 2 Young coconuts at 7.30AM.

I get to work at 8.30AM and I have an overwhelming compusion to drink a cup of tea. The nutrition info is given below. I feel guilty about drinking this. Its my 'pick me up' drink.

My goal at this point is to gain weight from 150lbs to 165 lbs and decrease my Body Fat to 7-8%. Will this impede me? What alternatives I can choose?

Nutrition Facts ( From Calories in Indian Chai Chai Tea, Milk & Sugar - Calories and Nutrition Facts)

Indian Chai - Chai - Tea, Milk & Sugar
    Servings: 1 cup cooked 1 container (2 cup cookeds ea.)
    Calories 75 Sodium 130 mg
    Total Fat 5 g Potassium 400 mg
    Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 12 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 2 g Sugars 20 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 20 mg

Vitamin A 10% Calcium 30%
    Vitamin C 4% Iron 0%

dado Guest
    Hello Adventure_Becons:

Indeed it does. And this tea you drink, I would not feel guilty about drinking it.

Best wishes,
    dado

rhee is offline Senior Member
    I love chai tea and drink it all the time. I need to lose weight so I use coconut milk instead of real milk. It helped a great deal when I was breaking my sugar addiction at the start of being primal.

Adventure_Becons is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Hello Adventure_Becons:

Indeed it does. And this tea you drink, I would not feel guilty about drinking it.

Best wishes,
    dado
    Dado,
    I'm confused with your reply. Since this impedes attaining my goal, how can I not feel guilty? Are there any other options?
    Thanks
    Lakshmi

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    Can you make your own tea without so much sugar? If you gradually decrease the sugar, you'll get used to it. I can barely stand sugar in my tea anymore.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    The ingredients look fine I would just try to keep the sugar down to the minimum amount that makes it tasty and slowly work on getting the sugar out entirely for optimum health. That or cut back to one a day.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Chai served in India is stuffed with sugar, and often this is the only way it comes.

If you brew it yourself, just limit the sugar, but know if you go to any vendor, it's going to have too much sugar and will throw you way off.

Ande is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I second weaning yourself off the sugar in the tea. Eventually you will not need it.

Also, there is a tea that Celestial Seasonings Teas makes called Bengal Spice. It is like chai, but it is decaf (may be a negative to you) but it is naturally sweet. Probably not as sweet as you'd like but if you feel so inclined, check it out.