Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Sistas go Primal - AUS vs. USA page

Sketcha is offline Member

2 Sistas go Primal - AUS vs. USA (Journal)

Shop Now
    This is the Primal Blueprint Journal of two sisters living in opposite parts of the globe (Australia, and The USA), about to embark on the 21 day challenge.

My sister, Sourcat, emailed me yesterday to ask if I'd be interested in trying out the 21 day challenge with her. I'd heard a little about the Primal diet a few months ago when a friend of mine tried it so I jumped on board.

I am known on here as Sketcha, currently living in Chicago, USA and already prefer a low lactose and gluten-free diet so this doesn't intimidate me (too much). Winter is officially still a few weeks away but today we are just getting our first miserable drizzle of simultaneous rain & snow. Soon we will be drenched by treacherous ice storms, then hopefully by Christmas some beautiful white snow. Fresh fruit is going to be expensive, except apples perhaps. I know the best avocados around here are from Mexico. Most of the non-meat items I eat are probably going to be frozen. I suspect I will be complaining about this frequently in my journal.

Sourcat is living in Melbourne, Australia. It seems they are currently experiencing typical late Spring weather, maybe slightly warmer than usual. It is almost Summer time, and I am extremely jealous.
    Not only will there be a variety of fresh summer fruit & veg, Melbourne is on the coast, so there should be a vast array of fresh seafood.

I cannot officially start until next week, since I don't have the book yet, but I think Sourcat is starting today.

~Sketcha
    Last edited by Sketcha; 11-27-2011 at 09:46 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sounds cool, gals. looking forward to seeing you around.

Sourcat is offline Member
    Time to introduce myself too. Sister of Sketcha, living in Melbourne Australia. Always relatively healthy and active, but a year after my first daughter was born I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. It was really severe for a few years, affecting hands, feet & knees. I had a handicapped permit, could barely walk, and it was tough for a while. I became quite interested in health & nutrition around that time. Finally after 4 years I was able to get it under control with the help of Bikram yoga and a long list of medication. I went off the meds in order to get pregnant again, and was told it would come back with a vengance after giving birth. Amazingly after my second daughter was born it went into complete remission for a while. Now, a few years down the track it is back, but I am managing quite well on some new medications.

I know what it is like to completely lose your health, so I don't plan to go back there. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week nowadays, Bikram is just too militant and I don't have the time. I quite like eatiing low carb, but have always missed eating berries, so the primal diet appeals to me. I'm not expecting any miracles with the arthritis, but I'll keep monitoring it for improvement.

Yes it is SUMMER in two days. I am on holidays for the next month, so it is a great time for me to focus on this. It will be interesting working the diet into family meals, so any advice on that is appreciated. I'll post my diary entries here, sorry if they are a bit long winded or boring.

Here is a link to the other thread we will post on, with a few other forum users starting the challenge the same time as us:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42883.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you might consider another form of yoga, or doing the bikram sequence (i'm sure you remember it!) at your own pace once a week or so to help out. And congrats on regaining your health so far!

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you might consider another form of yoga, or doing the bikram sequence (i'm sure you remember it!) at your own pace once a week or so to help out. And congrats on regaining your health so far!
    Good idea, might try that at home. Even if I don't hold them quite as long it would still be great.

Ok, Day 1 Journal entry:
    Success Score: 10/10 today.

Kitchen/ pantry purge
    Left the cereal, pasta and crackers for the kids, I'm not interested in these. Kept bread for the kids lunches (not really a temptation for me).
    Threw out cornmeal & cornflour (I'll have to research paleo thickeners), fibre supplements, peanut butter.

Restock Preparation
    Bought lots of free range meat, eggs, smoked salmon, tins of tuna. Bought duck fat, coconut oil and ghee for cooking. Found a lemon & olive oil dressing to use. Plenty of salad veggies and some blueberries in season. Also bought coconut milk and extra green curry paste. Need to buy some cabbage to shred instead of rice to go with the green curry - such a good idea.

Ideas to increase Daily Movement
    Gym 3* per week (one training session, two on my own).
    Evening walks after dinner (to go check out the new house).
    Walk the kids to school if it is a nice day & go to the organic shop on the way home.

Today: I had a training session. A few sprints, lots of full body movements with weights.
    Tonight: Walked to pick the girls up from piano lessons. Had a great walk home via the playground. The girls definitely talk a lot more walking rather than driving.

Primal essentials
    Glass water bottle.
    Filled out medication doset box with vitamin D 2000IUD per day, fish oil, multivitamin.

Summary
    Daily energy levels: 7
    Hunger between meals: 7
    Satisfaction level with meals: 6
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: -
    Struggles: quite hungry and tired this morning. Probably due to big carb heavy meal yesterday. Hardly surprising.
    Daily highlight: Gym training session was great. I meet with a trainer on Monday mornings and worked very hard for a full hour.
    Need to improve: Planning meals. The food I made was a bit bland, didn't want to add salt. I think I might go a few days before adding in seasoning to see if my taste buds adjust. This definitely happened when I cut out added sugar about a month ago.

Cool Day one - 21 day challenge

Okay so I'm on Day 1! I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I wanted to post something to prevent me from putting this off any longer. My birthday was on wednesday and my husband took me on a surprise 3 day holiday, and I spent all day yesterday cooking lasagna, so today is the first day I've had time to get organised.

Day 7 . Actually, didn't have the greatest weekend. I had a couple big celebratory events this weekend & only stayed about 70% primal. Even so, I did have a BBQ Friday night for my parents - meat, salad & berries. It seemed quite normal. I am experimenting with summer smoothies. The one I am drinking right now has avocado, blueberries, raspberries, a dash of cream and some whey protein powder. I used stevia to sweeten it a little. I think I am behind on the journal, but I am finding the food side of it very easy. I can definitely eat this way.

Day 1b

Okay, so yesterday and today I have been cleaning out the fridge and pantry. I've been thinking about what to leave for my man to eat, but I'm the chef around here so I don't see much reason to hang on to the SAD foods. I'll continue to buy milk for him, and some frozen chips and pizza, but I'm going to see if I can get him to eat primal without noticing the lack of yellow foods.

This morning for breakfast I made scrambled eggs florentine. It's my version of something I always get at the 'breakfast all day' cafe around the corner. Theirs has artichoke in it but I don't know how to cook with artichoke so I have left it out.
    So here's my recipe - You don't really have to use these exact amounts, it will taste great no matter what. This is just a ballpark. I guess it serves 2, but when I eat it all, I don't get hungry again for 6 or 7 hours. You can also substitute half the eggs with egg whites to make it leaner. I cook it all in one tiny sauce pan - (1 Quart non-stick) It is 8cm deep and 15cm in diameter.

80g Frozen Spinach
    56g Cream Cheese
    20g Feta Cheese
    4 Eggs
    Butter (optional if you've got a good non-stick pan)

Defrost spinach in pan on low to medium heat. Stir as needed with rubber spatula until defrosted. When defrosted, add cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted and mixed evenly with the spinach. Add feta cheese. Mix until combined. Pour cooked spinach mixture into bowl. Set aside.
    Melt butter in pan (if necessary). Crack eggs into pan, use spatula to 'scramble' the eggs. Once eggs are cooked and scrambled, dump them on top of the spinach mixture. gently stir the eggs with the spinach so there's still some decent sized egg chunks, but so the spinach is visible. Eat.

You could also serve this with the scrambled eggs first, and the spinach as a topping. Probably looks nicer this way. You don't need to worry about dry scrambled eggs with this recipe either. I like to make it with extra spinach. I have packed my hand mixer in anticipation of the move to NC, but some people might like this better if the creamy spinach was blended a little after cooking.

My man is cooking chicken breasts outside on the grill for dinner
    and I'm going to steam some veggies in the microwave.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Oh my, spinach with cream cheese sounds deliciously evil. I'll have to try that on poached eggs!

This is going to be a fun journal with the two of you!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast