Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2 Sistas go Primal - AUS vs. USA page 6

Sketcha is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourcat View Post
    Are those molds for poaching in the microwave? Love Japan.
    They also sell them on Amazon. I might order some. I'll send them to you after I try them. They won't cost anything to mail since they're small and light.

It says you take a 'just boiled' egg, peel it & put it in there and then soak it in cold water for ten minutes. Here's a great photo of the final product. It's so cute!

I tried another recipe from the book you bought me -

Bacon wrapped chicken livers.

At first they were a bit rich tasting. The liver tasted just like the pate mum used to make - which I loved (I need to get her to send the recipe). After getting used to the strong flavour I started to really like them. You can really only eat one though. I think it would be better to make a chicken liver pate, spread it on celery, and then sprinkle some crispy bacon bits on top.

Ok. So I'm on day 6! I've passed the sugar-craving phase, and now my appetite is starting to lessen. My weight is 198.2 which is almost back to my pre-christmas weight.

I'm really excited to see how quickly I can lose body fat over the next 30 days.

Right now I'm eating twice a day. A big breakfast, and a normal dinner. I don't get hungry much during the day, and I'm busy doing things so it's nice not to need to eat. Hubby thinks I should eat smaller meals more often throughout the day to speed up my metabolism. What do you think?
    I feel like if I go without eating for longer periods then my body will use more stored fat for energy.

This week I am focusing on incorporating daily exercise into my routine. I've got the food thing down. And I've been remembering to take my vitamins every day. Exercise has been neglected.

I made Korean Style Beef Short Ribs today. The marinade wasn't too bad - it uses 1 cup of blueberries to sweeten instead of honey or sugar. I'm not a big fan of ribs. They didn't cook properly, but that's due to my own inexperience. I left out the onions and scallions because I don't like them very much/wasn't in the mood. I would try this on beef. Stick it all in a blender then marinate. This link might help but the recipe is different than in the book. The recipe below is pretty much what I used.

1 cup blackberries
    1/4 cup tamari
    2 tbsp rice vinegar
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    4 stalks of scallions, chopped
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic

Last night I kept coming across these chocolatey desserts in my dreams and secretly demolishing them! Obviously my brain is trying to tell me something, but I am not about to go out and buy a bunch of chocolate junk food. So this morning I opened up the bar of 100% cacao chocolate I had in the cupboard and ate a piece. At first it was yuk - very sour and bitter, but I had also just eaten a banana. Next time I might eat them at the same time. But as my taste buds adjusted to the bitterness I was able to enjoy the chocolateyness. It is very much like eating a coffee bean. When I added the chocolate to my food diary software I noticed it is extremely high in iron! I bet this is why I always start craving chocolate around a certain time of the month. I used to think it was an emotional thing, but iron deficiency makes more sense.

For breakfast I am going to eat a double serving of spinach with my eggs, and then somehow incorporate chicken livers into my lunch. Dried thyme and parsley are also very high in iron so I'll be using those on a daily basis from now on.

Are there any nutrients in a cigarette? because I have been craving them about once a week. Usually it is when I see someone smoke on television. Maybe it's because I am not getting enough vitamin D. Even though I haven't smoked on a regular basis in 7 years, I did usually smoke outside... if my stupid brain is trying to get me to go outside more, it needs to realise I don't want to look like an 80 year old wrinkled woman at age 35, so I am not having a cigarette! Now that I think about it, I have also been craving cheese a lot lately. I'm going to double my vitamin D supplement, and make sure I walk my dog every day, and see if I stop craving cigarettes and dairy.

Frequent small meals vs. 2 or 3 large meals per day for fat loss

Quote Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post
    Right now I'm eating twice a day. A big breakfast, and a normal dinner. I don't get hungry much during the day, and I'm busy doing things so it's nice not to need to eat. Hubby thinks I should eat smaller meals more often throughout the day to speed up my metabolism. What do you think?
    I feel like if I go without eating for longer periods then my body will use more stored fat for energy.
    I've been doing some research on the MDA forum on the subject of meal frequency in regards to fat loss. I know Mark's advice from the books is to eat when you are hungry, and stop eating when you are full, but he's speaking in terms of what is healthy, not necessarily what will burn fat faster.

From my research, the consensus is it doesn't make any difference. What matters the most is calorie intake vs. calorie expenditure. This link explains it in a really easy to understand way - "Dispelling the Myths"; ‘Eating several small meals a day is superior to a few large meals a day’
    This link is to an actual study from the Behavioural and Metabolic Research Unit, School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa - Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet

I much prefer eating a big meal less often. When I am trying to lose weight the less I have to think about food the better.

Sourcat is offline Member
    Sorry I haven't been posting, but I've been busy settling into the new job/ routine/ life. So far it is going really well. Great job with how things are going, so glad it is all working. I am still off my anti-inflammatories. I'm not cured by any stretch, but I don't really need them at this point. I am stilll managing to stay almost completely primal, other than a bit of laxity when eating out at a restaurant. I've brought my lunch every day, which I actually haven't had time to eat until almost 2pm some days.

I used to feel that if I didn't eat, I couldn't concentrate. I think this was more of an issue when I had a bit more of a carbohydrate dependance. Now that my blood sugar is relatively stable, it is not a problem at all to put off lunch or dinner, and I don't think it affects me.

I totally agree about eating less often feeling both more natural, and being easier to maintain or lose weight. We definitely weren't designed to have a constant stream of food.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have time to post this weekend.

My weight finally dropped again! I'm at 195 today (Day 16). I was 198.8 three days ago. Since I hadn't lost any weight the first week back on the primal I started upping my exercise this week (from nothing much to an hour of walking). Two days ago I stopped eating a banana for breakfast and I think it has made all the difference. I was eating them for the minerals mostly but I found out avocados are more nutrient dense and less sugar so I can still get the potassium without all the carbs. I am going to miss banana in my smoothies, but once I get to my target weight, or once I've lost 20lbs and can do more running without killing my knees and feet, I might add them back in.

I'm finally officially moving back to Charlotte, yay! Husband starts his new job on Feb. 27. Time to find a house!

How's it going? I made Arame last night to go with the fish hubbs grilled outside. It is yummy. Not much flavour in itself, but just add a little tamari. Plus sliced avocado.

It might go well with spaghetti sauce.

Today I went to the Shoney's breakfast buffet (I got there while they were still putting food out so it wasn't too scary). I had a pile of scrambled eggs and three circles of sausage, green peppers, 3 cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms with decaf coffee and a glass of water. for a snack I had some sunflower seeds and a glass of water. Lunch was a 4 egg and spinach omelette and a glass of water. For dinner we're having pork loin and green veggies.

Apples have been making my stomach hurt (or maybe it was the grapes). I also felt really nauseous on saturday. The night before I had chopped sirloin (I thought it would be like a stir-fry, but it turns out its basically hamburger), with green peppers. That morning I had bacon and eggs and brussels sprouts. Lunch I went to olive garden and had steamed garlic mussels and salmon with broccoli. Dinner was filet mignon and broccoli. So I think it was the hamburger that made me sick. It did taste a little weird but didn't taste bad. It also could be the bacon with all those nitrates that is hurting my stomach. Or maybe it's the brussels sprouts. I know the salmon and broccoli is not a problem. And I feel pretty good today after my shoney's breakfast.

I have been also cut way down on my dairy because of heartburn. I had a decent amount of sharp cheddar yesterday, but today the only dairy I've had is butter.

Now that I live in Charlotte I'm hoping to find a primal nutritionist to help me keep variety in my diet. I think I'm doing okay, but I haven't felt like putting much effort into cooking.

I weighed 197 today. I'm hoping I can pretty much maintain my weight over the next 6 months, by walking a lot and doing yoga. I'm going to do lots of squats, pushups, and situps while I still can.

So far I have not been able to find Fage total (full-fat) yogurt. It's so annoying. They sell the brand at all the stores I've been to but they only have non-fat and 2%. I bought the non-fat anyway and it tasted gross. Totally ruined the blueberries.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OMG I just discovered PRAWN CRACKERS are PRIMAL! I was thinking about them today while I was in the grocery store so I looked them up. They are made with prawns (this surprised me!) and tapioca flour (Sisson says it is a "safe starch"). The store bought ones might have extra crap and msg in them, but here is a recipe:

Kwan Aunty's Prawn Crackers
    600g small prawns (flesh only & de-veined)
    600g tapioca starch/flour*
    1 heaped t salt
    1 t white ground pepper

I can't wait to make them once we move into a house.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast