Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Sistas go Primal - AUS vs. USA page 2

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yay another Melbournite!!! Summer today at least... out to soak up some Vit D...

Sourcat is offline Member
    Oh yummmy. Sounds great - I'm going to try that today. Yes - beautiful weather today in Melbourne (about time). I'm going to buy all this weeks groceries from the organic shop, hope I don't go broke.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourcat View Post
    Oh yummmy. Sounds great - I'm going to try that today. Yes - beautiful weather today in Melbourne (about time). I'm going to buy all this weeks groceries from the organic shop, hope I don't go broke.
    Where do you go? I buy groceries from Woolies, the fruit/veg/deli/meat/fish/cheese from Vic Market. Far cheaper than e.g Camberwell Market or the produce-shops in the local high streets.

Normally I go to woolies for most things. I'm experimenting though, as our local organic grocer is fantastic - Superfruit in Ivanhoe. They are happy to put in orders for any organic meat, which comes directly from the farmers (so it relatively affordable). My plan is to buy non-food items from Aldi to save a few pennies, then buy all food from the organic grocer. I'm hoping the costs will even out.

Sketcha is offline Member
    Alright, so I had a SAD relapse yesterday. I only had 5 hours sleep and other issues, so I was having a bad day and didn't want to cook. I'm back on track today, although I did have a 5 hour energy this morning to get myself to the gym, so this is my new Day 1. I finished purging my fridge and pantry the day before yesterday. I kept some Maggi sweet chilli sauce because it's the same I used to get in australia and It's almost gone. Once it's used up I'll make a homemade version without sugar.
    Also, I have been trying to think of a way to do my scrambled eggs florentine recipe without Dairy. I suppose using coconut milk to make it creamy will work. That recipe is my comfort food breakfast, but I have another similar breakfast recipe that is great on a daily basis, and uses a lot less dairy:

Spinach & Feta Omelette

3 eggs
    80g spinach
    34g Feta

Yesterday I went shopping at Schnucks. They have a decent amount of organic food. I was able to find some grass fed ground beef. I also bought a few different kinds of wild caught fish, full circle brand.
    As far as locally grown produce, I live in Illinois. The state of Illinois is #1 for soybean production, and 2nd highest in corn production out of the entire United States. The only things they grow in my immediate vicinity are Corn, Soybeans, and I know of an Apple farm, but I don't think it is organic. This is one of the things that I realised yesterday when I went out shopping and It pissed me off a little that Mark makes it sound so fun and easy to find healthy food grown locally. It must be nice to live in California. I have to eat avocados from mexico, apples from new zealand, and salmon from china. LOL I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on google to find some local eggs. Besides that I'm just going to ignore the local aspect of the primal transformation. I am disappointed though. In the summertime here, they do have a farmer's market on saturday mornings, but I don't think they have anything like that durning the winter.
    I'm so glad we're moving back to North Carolina. There's a good reason why midwesterners are all obese.
    Tomorrow I'll see what's available at The Fresh Market, and the local health food store.

Here's my recipe for easy delicious chicken breasts, best cooked on the grill by someone else.

lightly coat each chicken breast on both sides with the following:
    (one spice at a time)
    garlic salt
    onion powder
    fresh ground pepper
    paprika
    then coat each piece in oil (I used EVOO)

let them marinate for 30 minutes in a dish, then cook. Baste the chicken frequently while cooking.
    Last edited by Sketcha; 12-09-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Don't worry too much about the relapse, great to hear you are back on track. I think pure (not thickened) cream is still PB, so you can use that in your eggs florentine. Also you could use ghee instead of butter. Last night we had green chicken curry on top of shredded fresh cabbage instead of rice. It was really yummy, I preferred it.
    I am sure there is nothing fresh and local in Peoria in the middle of winter, but just make sure you have plenty of snacks around so you aren't missing things. I like to have a big stack of fresh celery and hardboiled eggs ready to go in the fridge. Along with some good dark chocolate and really good cheese and olives. I also have a lot of smoothies. Maybe stock up on frozen berries? I haven't tried any with coconut milk, but might try a blueberry coconut smoothie for breakfast tomorrow. I haven't been quite game to add raw eggs, that seems unecessarily risky, so I am sticking with my whey protein powder. Make sure you have LOTS of protein and you won't be tempted. Also, you always have done so well with fasting in the past. I think you should start experimenting with daily fasts like I am, it is very easy and the science is sound. I usually set the timer from my last meal and make sure I don't have anything for at least 14 hours, but sometime feel fine going as long as 18 hours. I might have a cup of coffee with a splash of cream only.

Other staples of ours:
    Burritos with lettuce wraps instead of tortillas.
    Spaghetti & meatballs over zucchini strips (sauted)

A couple of good days. Last night we had fresh grilled Barramundi with salad, then whipped cream and fresh blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. Today for dinner we had a dozen fresh oysters with grass fed organic steak, bbq mushrooms and salad. Other than that I usually have a 3 egg omlette around 11am, then I snack a fair bit throughout the day. Probably snacking too much, too much dark chocolate, cheese and cream in my coffee. I suppose dairy is the reason I can't make the scale shift, but eveytime I think of giving it up, I can't bear to miss out on my morning coffee. Even so, loving the current way of eating. Tomorrow I am having a big gym session. There was an article in the Sunday paper about paleo nutrition this morning. Looks like it is catching on in a big way.

Currently drinking a coffee with coconut milk. I think I prefer green tea.

Well, I have figured out I can do black coffee with 1/2 tsp of sugar, so have made it 24hrs dairy free. I think I don't mind coffee black, as long as it is decent espresso & has a bit of sugar.

Sketcha is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You start to prefer coffee and tea black after a few days. I am still having a little dairy, but once I use up what is in the fridge I'm not going to buy any more. Does clarified butter count? I'm not going to stop using that.

I did buy frozen organic blueberries and strawberries the other day so I was glad you reminded me to make a smoothie. The only yogurt I had was Stonyfield farm nonfat greek organic vanilla yogurt. I have learned over the last few months (since I started seeing a nutritionist) that I (me personally) need to eat a fatty breakfast if I don't want to be craving fast food and junk in the evening, so I had some scrambled eggs as well. Since then I did some searching on here for a good full fat plain greek yogurt and found out about FAGE which I was able to find at The Fresh Market. They also had frozen organic blackberries, so now I can make smoothies for a meal.

I also bought some duck fat, and Plugra (gross brand name for clarified butter). The duck fat made the food taste a little weird, but not in a bad way. The plugra is delicious.

For dinner tonight I made a stuffed capsicum. I just filled it with cooked ground beef flavoured mexican style (garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, garlic salt) and put a 1 cm thick layer of ricotta cheese on the top. Then baked it for 20 minutes. I probably should have read some recipes on this site first, because there are some great ones, but mine turned out yummy. Since I was the only one that saw it, it probably would have been easier to just stir fry the capsicum and beef, just not as pretty. And it was rather boring so next time I'll add another vegetable in there.

As far as my non primal urges - I've been eating milk chocolate every day, because I couldn't find a decent dark chocolate. But its gone now, so no more chocolate unless it is valhrona or green & blacks! I love dark chocolate so I look forward to only eating the good stuff when i have a craving. I should probably just order it online. I also put sugar in my tea today. I don't really know why, because I usually have it plain. I guess my body is trying to fight the change. I also drank a coke yesterday, but it was mexican coke, made with sugar instead of HFCS. My carb total was 109g that day. So if I'd left out the added sugar it would have been 19g from the berries mostly, and salad at dinner. Total calories was 1430 which is great! I burn between 2000-2400 depending on how much i exercise. I have lost 4 pounds this week.

I haven't been working through the 21 day journal yet so I'm going to start filling it out and doing the daily goals. I've read about 1/3 of the book. Once I got to the part where he said I didn't have to read the whole thing to be able to start the 'transformation' I pretty much threw the book down and cheered. lol

I did read the part from 'action' whatever to the end, but I want to go back and read the boring science parts. Boring because I already understand it, but I couldn't explain it to someone else, and that's why I need to learn it properly. I've always preferred eating low-carb but everyone is telling me I have to eat grains and dairy to be healthy so since I have digestive issues when I eat bread and pasta, I would eat rice based products without issues, and I'm lactose intolerant but I can eat yogurt and hard cheeses without any issues. I also used to drink a lot of soy milk because I was trying to keep my calcium levels up, but I didn't really WANT to drink it. I love the stuff, but I just didn't feel like I needed it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast