Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Endurance Athlete Needs Help with Weight Loss + Recovery page

  1. #1
    jfoster's Avatar
    jfoster is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8

    Endurance Athlete Needs Help with Weight Loss + Recovery

    Primal Fuel
    Hello! This is my first time posting and I'm looking for some help from all you awesome MDA people I am an endurance athlete (swimmer) who has recently begun to eat primally. (is that even how you would describe it??) I know for athletes it is important to get some good carbs into your diet for recovery and I have been getting those from yams, as well as a recovery drink (Endurox). I know it's only been a week, but I'm wondering if even though I'm eating carbs and not exercising the Grok-approved way, will I still be able to reduce body fat? I've read so many success stories from people (and seen the awesome pictures!) but no one was really in my position, so I'm wondering if I'll have any similar results. Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. #2
    RunBikeLift's Avatar
    RunBikeLift is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    63
    I'm interested in this, also! I will start marathon training in January and will be curious to how eating Primal will affect my endurance/energy levels during long runs.

    I've been eating Primal for about 3 weeks now and seeing slow fast loss, and still able to keep up my exercise routine (running, spinning, mountain biking, Crossfit workouts, some treadmill sprints)

    As for my carbs, besides vegetables- I eat sweet potatoes and Larabars

    I'm trying my best this week to cut out dairy to see if that helps quicken fat loss
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

    11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

    11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

  3. #3
    Karma's Avatar
    Karma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    654
    USE the search function on the forum main page. Many, many posts to help answer your questions are up already with a lot of good ideas and success stories.

  4. #4
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    Hello! This is my first time posting and I'm looking for some help from all you awesome MDA people I am an endurance athlete (swimmer) who has recently begun to eat primally. (is that even how you would describe it??) I know for athletes it is important to get some good carbs into your diet for recovery and I have been getting those from yams, as well as a recovery drink (Endurox). I know it's only been a week, but I'm wondering if even though I'm eating carbs and not exercising the Grok-approved way, will I still be able to reduce body fat? I've read so many success stories from people (and seen the awesome pictures!) but no one was really in my position, so I'm wondering if I'll have any similar results. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance


  5. #5
    jfoster's Avatar
    jfoster is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8
    I appreciate your two posts but maybe I just need to simplify my question. (I searched athlete + weight loss and there were only two hits, neither of which were that helpful.) I've only been eating this way for a week (minus Thanksgiving...) and my question is, will I still see the same weight loss results as most people who commit to this lifestyle, even though I am an athlete and have to incorporate carbs (sweet potatoes, bananas) into my diet? Thanks again!!

  6. #6
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    I appreciate your two posts but maybe I just need to simplify my question. (I searched athlete + weight loss and there were only two hits, neither of which were that helpful.) I've only been eating this way for a week (minus Thanksgiving...) and my question is, will I still see the same weight loss results as most people who commit to this lifestyle, even though I am an athlete and have to incorporate carbs (sweet potatoes, bananas) into my diet? Thanks again!!
    You can. It may takes some tweaking.

    I could be classified as an athlete if someone were generous(powerlifting-style training), I suppose, and though I lost my first batch of fat with LC, I restarted and made what I consider to be more impressive fat loss with copious amount of carbs in the form of starches in my diet.

    Experiment with different types of carbs- I do better on white potatoes than sweet(digestive issues). Correctly made rice(with stock and GF butter) is a staple of my diet.

    I don't know what that drink is-sounds like poison-ingredients?

  7. #7
    jfoster's Avatar
    jfoster is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Apex! Endurox is a drink a lot of endurance athletes use to recover. it has the 4:1 carb: protein ratio that The Paleo Diet for Athletes says you need. I've been using it for quite some time now and thought I'd continue with it. also, what do you mean by tweaking?

  8. #8
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    I'm less worried about what the macro-nutrients are than the actual ingredients. A quick google shows them to not be horrible, but not super either. Probably nothing to worry about for now.

    By tweaking, I mean that you are going to have to do some experimentation and see what works for you. For example, nuts are technically primal, but cause me problems. I also need more calories and to some extent, carbs than I am "supposed" to eat. You may need to adjust not only what primal foods work for you, but your calorie and carb levels. Start with following the book, getting plenty of primal carbs, and see how you do. If you don't have enough energy during your workout, add in more carbs. If the weight doesn't come off, dial down the calories/carbs. The longer your are primal, the more intuitive this becomes, but it's basically trial and error. Just keep at it, it's worth it.

  9. #9
    jfoster's Avatar
    jfoster is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8
    Thank you SO much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. One last question...how long will this "low-carb flu," as some people have called it, last? Like I said, I've only been at it for a week now and I know that's a short period of time, but I'm just curious as to how long my training will suffer.. I've seen most people say 2-3 weeks. Does that sound about right?

  10. #10
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    Thank you SO much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. One last question...how long will this "low-carb flu," as some people have called it, last? Like I said, I've only been at it for a week now and I know that's a short period of time, but I'm just curious as to how long my training will suffer.. I've seen most people say 2-3 weeks. Does that sound about right?
    That depends on the person-greatly. Even when I went LC/VLC/ZC, I didn't go through it. Fasting seemed to help *for me*, maybe that was why? It's just very individual.

    Though if you decide to go high-carb primal, you wouldn't go through it/it would stop when you started eating sufficient carbs again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •