Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my lips are constantly chapped, dry, and peeling page

dirk41 is offline Senior Member

my lips are constantly chapped, dry, and peeling

For about the past year, my lips have consistently been either really dry, chapped, or peeling. This has been happening when its cold and when its warm. I usually go through a weekly or semi-weekly cycle where my lips get dry, then get puffed up, then start to get a firm texture (not soft or supple at all) and then starts to peel. Once most of it is peeled off, my lips are soft for about a day but then the cycle starts again.

I have tried Vaseline, Chapstick, Burt Bees, and Blistex to no avail. All of these make my lips soft for no longer than an hour, then my lips become puffy and require another application of lip balm. Last month I purchased Aquaphor healing ointment from Amazon. It worked perfectly the first few times I applied it, but it has become less effective since.

I have searched some of the threads on dry lips. I don't think dehydration is a problem for me; I drink only water. I saw in some threads that ingesting coconut oil helps. I have never done so, but I do apply coconut oil on my face every night. I tried applying it on my lips but that only puffed up my lips once I woke up.

Everything I've tried has failed, and this has been a problem for me for at least a year. I'd prefer to find a long-term solution rather than some miracle cream, but I'm desperate for any kind of solution at this point.

dado Guest
    this is all stupid, what you have tried.

if they are dry, lick them. do this as often as is necessary. this is how animals would do it, if they had to worry about chapped lips.

and dirk is the man.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    Buy yourself one of those new EOS egg shaped lip balms. They contain some natural oils along with the moisturizers so they form a semi-permanent barrier that lasts until you accidentally lick it off. Licking your lips will just accelerate evaporation and dry your lips out faster in the Winter weather.

I know that licking the lips will not help. I've never heard of EOS lip balm, but it sounds like it works. Might have to order off Amazon

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I've suffered from the same thing since I was a kid. The only time in my life that my lips were almost 100% normal was when I conceived my first kid 7 years ago. Then after her birth my lips got worse again.

I've searched online many times over the years for a solution. Some people hypothesize that it's virus. Others say it happens in mouth breathers (which I happen to be due to allergies which cleared up during my pregnancy and never came back).

The only thing that gives me any sort of relief is 100% pure lanolin applied nightly.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    this is all stupid, what you have tried.

if they are dry, lick them. do this as often as is necessary. this is how animals would do it, if they had to worry about chapped lips.

and dirk is the man.
    the enzymes in saliva will make lips drier, so unless you lick every 30 seconds it won't help

my lips stopped chapping when i was drinking about a gallon of fluid a day. if your problem is just a matter of dehydration, the EOS balm or Lip Vitamins (can get cheap from Sally Beauty) are both very moisturizing without being sticky or feeling like a ton of goop on your face
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i'm gonna look for that EOS stuff. I have the same kind of problem. seems like it got much worse after they got burnt (stealthily) in the winter desert sun. On the last day out there, i woke up with a swollen lip, it was so swollen i could almost see it beneath my nose! It was painful. A friend suggested lysine. So i took it all the way home and by about 5 hrs later it had reduced. I thought it was going to burst!

i use a lip balm with sunscreen & lysine in it but it doesn't seem to be a 100% cure for the part that seems prone to the sunburn/swelling.

loligoss is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil helps and drink water. Is it just your lips or is your skin dry too?

I drink water with every meal and usually have 2-3 other cups spread throughout the day. I really don't think drinking enough water has anything to do with it. My skin is fine for the most part, its really just my lips.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post

The only thing that gives me any sort of relief is 100% pure lanolin applied nightly.
    Really? I remember reading somewhere that lanolin is the ingredient in lip balm that causes the lips to eventually dry out and require numerous re-applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast