Thread: Stuck on PC @ Night / Himalayan Salt Lamps - what do you think? page

prato is offline Junior Member

Stuck on PC @ Night / Himalayan Salt Lamps - what do you think?

Primal Fuel
    I recently finished reading this article on blue light at night affecting circadian rhythms:

How Light Affects Our Sleep | Mark's Daily Apple

.. and I have a question: I just recently started using this Himalayan salt lamp in the evenings when I am working on my PC:

Amazon.com: Round Basket Lamp filled with Himalayan Natural Crystal Salt Chunks

Essentially, it is a wire basket with a light bulb in the center and than a lot of large pink salt rocks from Pakistan surrounding it.

It feels quite "primal" having it next to me -- when it is on it looks like the orange coals of a campfire. Dos anybody think there is much benefit in this? I was thinking of possibly getting a couple more.

Also, as I can't avoid working on the computer in the evenings, are there anythings I can do to improve my situation short of distorting the colors on the screen with F.Lux or orange tinted glasses? Would there be a particular desktop background/color scheme that would be more beneficial for example?

Lapin is offline Member
    From the amazon photos is appears it would take more than a few of these to provide enough light for you to work by, so from a practical standpoint I think yellow tinted lenses would be more useful. However, if you like the ambience and price isn't an issue, then I don't see the harm in using these instead of conventional lightbulbs.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'd just go with f.lux or the glasses personally but if you just can't get used to that then go for a low contrast set of colors like a grey background with black text. And turn the brightness down on your monitor as much as you comfortably can.

And I love the lamp! That is very cool looking!

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I bought one for my mom to use as a night light. I would like one but my girlfriend would probably be bothered by it. I would also like to try the blue light wake up devices but that wouldn't jive with her or our schedules either not to mention they are pricey. I don't believe the salt lamps have any measurable health benefits like they sometimes claim but they do look cool.

prato is offline Junior Member
    I agree that the health benefits of salt lamps should be taken with a "grain of salt". The main reason that I got one is it is the closest thing I can find to have that campfire feeling while working on the PC.

I installed the F.lux app and will give that a try too. I'd been avoiding it because I do a lot of Photoshop work but, I guess, I will keep hitting the "disable for an hour" button or exit the app when I'm in a long stretch.

One other thing I found which is interesting and am using now is one of these orange bulbs as a backlight behind my monitors:

Amazon.com: Feit Electric BPESL13T/O 13-Watt Compact Fluorescent Mini Twist Orange Bulb

With the whole combination of the salt lamp, the orange bulb and the Flux it feels like a pretty good lighting environment right now for late evenings at least.