Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter weight?? page

jomama is offline Junior Member

winter weight??

Shop Now
    I have been eating mostly primal for about 4-5 months now... all of a sudden i have gained SIX pounds... am i being like grokette and adding winter weight to help me through lean times.. i needed to lose 5 more and now i am back at needing to lose ten... what's up..

anyone else having problems with winter weight???

Jojo
    "our business in life is not to
    get ahead of others,
    but to get ahead of ourselves...
    to break our own records,
    to outstrip our yesterday
    by our today"

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Too many nuts?
    Too much dairy?
    Too many fruits eaten after high fat meals?

I've read somewhere though that the body naturally packs on weight at the end of summer/fall. During winter (Jan, Febr and part of March) the weight naturally should come down again.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that the body 'naturally' packs on weight. Mine only adds weight when I eat too much. We tend to overeat at times (stress? holidays?) , and that results in weight gain. Anyone who has a 'mysterious' gain should try tracking eating patterns for a while and should be able to discover the problem.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm still losing at about a pound a month but when the temperatures start to drop my carb cravings start to go up! I'm really going to have to be careful with the potatoes now that the family is eating more cooked meals.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

alexdc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I doubt that the body 'naturally' packs on weight. Mine only adds weight when I eat too much. We tend to overeat at times (stress? holidays?) , and that results in weight gain. Anyone who has a 'mysterious' gain should try tracking eating patterns for a while and should be able to discover the problem.
    There are a number of studies that say it does. When the temperature goes down, so does the metabolism. They've found in a number of studies of different animals that the animals will gain weight during winter and shed it off during summer no matter what they feed them.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
    There are a number of studies that say it does. When the temperature goes down, so does the metabolism. They've found in a number of studies of different animals that the animals will gain weight during winter and shed it off during summer no matter what they feed them.
    Makes a lot of sense to me.

Please, if you can, provide me some more reading.

Paleobird Guest
    I think it's natural for people to be less active when it's cold outside but you have to adjust your eating to match. Also, depending on how far north you are, you may be getting less D than usual which could be a problem.

alexdc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Makes a lot of sense to me.

Please, if you can, provide me some more reading.
    Here are a couple articles from a quick Google search. The first is from Science Daily on weight gain during winter in general, the second is from Penn State and how they are doing studies on the relation on hibernation in animals to metabolic processes in humans. Nothing definitive, but food for thought. I don't know of any particular studies myself, if that's what you are looking for. I just know they are being conducted.

Temporary Weight Gain Over The Winter Holidays... Might Be A Good Thing

Penn State Live - Professor studies groundhog hibernation to benefit mankind

losingweightcom is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't worry so much about 10 pounds - just try not to gain anymore. Perhaps you can add some extra cardio for a couple weeks and see what happens.
    Lose weight at losingweight.com - read articles that'll guide you on your weight loss, join our active forum, enter contests and much more!
    www.losingweight.com

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I believe most animals are designed to pack on a little extra weight by eating the last of the seasons fructose containing fruit and starchy tubers such as gourds to help weather the Winter months. This does not apply unless you are actually rotating your diet to emulate those conditions. Most people these day are just fattening themselves up with holiday goodies and carelessness. Ho Ho Ho is not and excuse for Ho Ho's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast